NVME - uefi settings/migration

mechanicalfluff

Hey all, 

Finally got myself a(n) 970 evo. I tried to use the samsung migration thing, it copied but didn't make the drive bootable. At this point, i'm sitting with the installation media ready to go as a last resort.

I changed everything in bios from legacy to uefi, the drive is listed and i can set boot priority.

Mobo: GA-170-HD3

I read on this forum that when installing windows, there's some settings that can't be changed after installing windows, but it didn't go into detail (it was a really old thread). 

Any advice? Things i should change around before going through with the re-installation? 

Thanks!!

You need to be in UEFI mode and GPT layout to boot from an nvme drive; it sounds like your partition layout before was MBR which means that if it simply cloned over the drive won't work in that configuration.

If Windows is currently installed in CSM/Legacy mode, changing to UEFI on the same drive will make it unbootable since Windows won't be able to load properly.

Your best bet here might be to do a fresh install; it's not something I usually advocate since cloning is a lot better than it used to be, but a simple clone in your situation won't be sufficient.

Edit: Also, I absolutely hate your display picture. I just tried to get it off my monitor after thinking "Ah, hell, the cat has fleas".

Edited by Tabs

7 minutes ago, Tabs said:

You need to be in UEFI mode and GPT layout to boot from an nvme drive; it sounds like your partition layout before was MBR which means that if it simply cloned over the drive won't work in that configuration.

If Windows is currently installed in CSM/Legacy mode, changing to UEFI on the same drive will make it unbootable since Windows won't be able to load properly.

Your best bet here might be to do a fresh install; it's not something I usually advocate since cloning is a lot better than it used to be, but a simple clone in your situation won't be sufficient.

Edit: Also, I absolutely hate your display picture. I just tried to get it off my monitor after thinking "Ah, hell, the cat has fleas".

I actually just went to reinstall windows - I booted from USB, got into the assistant. Then it said that the drive was offline, it has an option to 'fix' it. I clicked ok, closed the installation, then rebooted. Now under boot options, it shows the windows boot manager on the 970 evo - not sure what it did, but it worked :P

I still might reinstall, get rid of all the BS i've collected over the years. All my important stuff is on a big 'ole storage pool rather than the boot drive. Just keep easy stuff on C. Steam, origin, uplay, chrome, obs etc.

2 minutes ago, mechanicalfluff said:

I actually just went to reinstall windows - I booted from USB, got into the assistant. Then it said that the drive was offline, it has an option to 'fix' it. I clicked ok, closed the installation, then rebooted. Now under boot options, it shows the windows boot manager on the 970 evo - not sure what it did, but it worked :P

I still might reinstall, get rid of all the BS i've collected over the years. All my important stuff is on a big 'ole storage pool rather than the boot drive. Just keep easy stuff on C. Steam, origin, uplay, chrome, obs etc.

Ahh, that's very interesting - that means that the drive data was migrated over without the GUID of the disk/partition changing - what was the cloning software you used? Most proper cloning utilities regenerate a new GUID to prevent that kind of issue.

Fun fact then - if you had removed your hard disk, your system would magically have started working on the nvme drive with no other changes, since there would no longer have been a conflict.

Still, I'm sorry I hadn't considered that. It very rarely comes up.

19 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Ahh, that's very interesting - that means that the drive data was migrated over without the GUID of the disk/partition changing - what was the cloning software you used? Most proper cloning utilities regenerate a new GUID to prevent that kind of issue.

Fun fact then - if you had removed your hard disk, your system would magically have started working on the nvme drive with no other changes, since there would no longer have been a conflict.

Still, I'm sorry I hadn't considered that. It very rarely comes up.

No worries, didn't know that would happen! Thanks for the info. 

I used the Samsung migration tool, 850 evo to 970 evo if that makes any difference.