Is there any big difference between 2.5" and 3.5" Hard Drives?

Adorable Cat

Besides physical size, is there any real difference? Just asking out of pure curiosity.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

SSDs are usually 2.5 inch and a lot faster. HDDs are usually 3.5 inch and a really slow. There are occasionally hdd's that are 2.5 inch. Laptops only support 2.5 inch and m.2. No real difference.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

In practice from an end-user's point-of-view: no. Technically, 2.5" drives are more expensive per gigabyte, but usually can handle slightly bigger g-forces from shocks, require less power to run and operate, and produce less heat -- all very important details, but, as mentioned, for most people not very important.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2.5" HDDs are, in general, quite a bit slower than 3.5" HDDs.  Any SSD will likely be faster than either size mechanical drive.

3.5" HDDs come in larger capacities and are typically lower cost per gigabyte. You'll also find that 7200RPM models are also typically cheaper.

2.5" HDDs fit in both 2.5" bays, and can be adapted to 3.5" bays.

Beyond that, any differences come down to the specific model of HDD.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

In my experience 2.5" HDDs are slower, and the noise they make is higher pitched which I personally find more annoying.
I want to say 2.5" drives fail a lot more often as well... but most 2.5" drives Ive dealt with were in laptops and other devices that might be moved around, or get dropped. So its not exactly the fairest comparison.