Verizon's internet deals / Router to match

Hey all!

I need some help looking for a proper ISP bundle. My place of living is in a specific New York area where the only ISP's which provide gigabit Ethernet are Verizon and Optimum.

We are currently under subscription with Optimum for $180/mo for 60/60 internet, Cable TV and Phone. We know that our deal is horribly overpriced; However, in order to upgrade to higher speeds through Optimum, we'll need to acquire Arris.-- And the reports are that Arris really sucks, so we're avoiding it.

At the moment, my dad and I are researching Verizon's internet/TV/phone services. There's a bundle deal from Verizon which purportedly ends on 7/25/18 that states the following:

image.png.b42a58a85149616ca913b647efa409d8.png

My three questions for the gurus are as follows:
1) What do the numbers ("940/880 Mbps") mean, Mason?

2) Will I be slammed with huge add-on costs?
2) Which routers would be best suitable for this deal?

Your help is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The internet speeds are actually 940/880 as stated, I have it. 940Mbps upload, 880Mbps download. I can download a 90GB game in around half an hour. You're going to get hit with whatever taxes and fees are applicable to your area, and you will likely be paying for an equipment install. For us, I think it was $100 to install an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router. Verizon's own Quantum Router will probably be your only router choice, since according to them it's the only way that cable boxes will be able to access on demand content.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

1) that's the actual speed that they are saying you should be able to get, because even if everything is perfect, you can never transfer at exactly the full speed of a connection.

2) I would expect the "taxes, equip. charges, and other fees" to come to about $20-$30 per month. If you want an estimate (which is normally accurate with about $1) you can call and get a quote over the phone. I'm sure it will also tell you the estimated total bill at some point on the website before you click the final order button.

Be aware that the $79.99 price that is shown is only for 2 years, and also requires that you sign up for autopay. After 2 years the price is likely to go up by $20 or maybe more - but you should call about a month before the 2 year agreement expires and ask for a new 2 year agreement. When my agreement expired last, I was able to keep the same price but my internet speed doubled (note that I'm on a Fios Business plan, not the Fios Residential gigabit). I would expect for residential gigabit plans that after the 2 years are up you can probably keep the same price or see a minimal increase - these tactics are the same as employed by the cable companies so Verizon isn't being any more evil than anyone else.

3) If you are going to be using Fios TV then you are required to have the Fios Quantum Gateway. In terms of ISP provided routers it is a pretty good one. The options that Verizon will give you are to buy one for $200 outright, or rent one for $9.99/month. Within your 2 year term, buying will save $40. You should check these numbers to make sure that they will apply to you, things may change by region and over time.

You also can buy a used Quantum Gateway on eBay and tell Verizon that you already have a gateway that you want to use. This is easier to do over the phone. You'll have to make sure that they A) properly add that gateway to your account, and B) actually remove the monthly charge from your bill. My Verizon installer apparently didn't click the right buttons and had marked my account as renting one (your installer is the one that actually sets your account as active and starts the billing, but once they do that only the call center can make corrections).

If you want better wireless coverage, you can add APs to this just like with any router. There are also options to use your own router and keep the TV units happy, see here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_General_Networking

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

5 hours ago, TRITIUMNITR0X said:

Hey all!

I need some help looking for a proper ISP bundle. My place of living is in a specific New York area where the only ISP's which provide gigabit Ethernet are Verizon and Optimum.

We are currently under subscription with Optimum for $180/mo for 60/60 internet, Cable TV and Phone. We know that our deal is horribly overpriced; However, in order to upgrade to higher speeds through Optimum, we'll need to acquire Arris.-- And the reports are that Arris really sucks, so we're avoiding it.

At the moment, my dad and I are researching Verizon's internet/TV/phone services. There's a bundle deal from Verizon which purportedly ends on 7/25/18 that states the following:

image.png.b42a58a85149616ca913b647efa409d8.png

My three questions for the gurus are as follows:
1) What do the numbers ("940/880 Mbps") mean, Mason?

2) Will I be slammed with huge add-on costs?
2) Which routers would be best suitable for this deal?

Your help is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

To my understanding the Verizon supplied router will need to be used if you have TV service. As their router is a special Moca router that communicates with the TV boxes and such. I think they might be able to provision the ethernet port on the ONT for Internet. But that means you will need to run an Ethernet cord to the ONT to where you want a router to be. 

Also Arris is not a bad modem maker. They pretty much own Motorola, at least they bought their modem business. You might be confused with the SB6190 from Arris being defective, but that due to Intel's stupidly with their Puma 6 chip. As long as you stay away from the Intel Puma 6 chip and Ive even heard the Intel puma 7 chip has issues, then you fine.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.