[US] $1320 Gaming PC. 1080ti + 8700k Gaming PC (doesn't include storage)

I got bored at work and decided to brainstorm some builds... I saw some of these deals floating around on the forum, they're quite compelling.

You could technically build this 8700k+1080ti build for 1320+ storage.

Note: The cooler on this GPU sucks, but will suffice for the budget minded. This Case had mediocre cooling ability. The CPU cooler should be replaced if you want to OC higher than like 4.7 GHz.

Specs:

- 8700k+Z370 combo - $425 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3723789

- GeForce GTX 1080 ti - $680 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500427&ignorebbr=1

- 16GB DDR4 3000 CL16 - $138 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-158-541

- CX550 PSU - $30 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139202

- M.2 WD BLUE 1TB SSD (SATA III) - $200 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820250092

- Corsair Spec-05 Case - $27 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139122

- Hyper 212x - $20 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103205

$1320 (1520 with 1TB SSD) Shipped.

Prices are after rebates (3 Rebates)

I listed a 1TB SSD, but you should use whatever storage drive you want... This will affect total system price of course.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Is this really a hot deal?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

10 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

Is this really a hot deal?

Meh... wasnt sure where else to post this

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

you can get better deals at micro center, 30$ off mobo with compatable cpu purchase and price match. you can buy a 1080 ti for 650 on amazon ithik

9 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

you can get better deals at micro center, 30$ off mobo with compatable cpu purchase and price match. you can buy a 1080 ti for 650 on amazon ithik

The bundle cost more at microcenter. $492 after tax and after the $30 discount. You cant price match a sale on newegg either, friend tried and they wouldn't let him at Mayfield OH microcenter.

Not sure about the 1080ti, but I cant find one on amazon for that price.

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

theres tax on newegg too

Guess it depends on where you live. I don't get charged for the tax by newegg where i live. BTW, i edited my last post regarding the price match..

5 hours ago, BarackOBatman said:

Guess it depends on where you live. I don't get charged for the tax by newegg where i live. BTW, i edited my last post regarding the price match..

But one day you will, even retroactively. ;)

39 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Shitty cooler and PSU, not a good deal at all

for an extra $25 you can get this 240 AIO CPU cooler and this power supply, though I would argue that the original ones are completely adequate, and there would be negligible gains in performance for the extra money.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103234&cm_re=masterliquid_240-_-35-103-234-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139210

I don't understand what makes the build "not a good deal" :(

16 hours ago, BarackOBatman said:

for an extra $25 you can get this 240 AIO CPU cooler and this power supply, though I would argue that the original ones are completely adequate, and there would be negligible gains in performance for the extra money.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103234&cm_re=masterliquid_240-_-35-103-234-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139210

I don't understand what makes the build "not a good deal" :(

The cooler is FAR from Adequete. The 8700k pulls quite a bit more power (thus more heat produced) then that cooler can do. It needs a 280mm-360mm  cooler OR a Decent Air cooler (NH-D14, D15, BQ Dark rock 4 etc) to keep temps in check without delidding. 

The PSU is Shit, CX series is one of the lowest end PSU's from corsair, its similar to the NEX series from EVGA.

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

The cooler is FAR from Adequete. The 8700k pulls quite a bit more power (thus more heat produced) then that cooler can do. It needs a 280mm-360mm  cooler OR a Decent Air cooler (NH-D14, D15, BQ Dark rock 4 etc) to keep temps in check without delidding. 

The PSU is Shit, CX series is one of the lowest end PSU's from corsair, its similar to the NEX series from EVGA.

The psu in that link is a TX not CX. In any case the Grey label CX is still decent. Agree on the cooler.

26 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

I have to disagree.

The 8700k has a 95 watt TDP. (30 watts more than the 8700) The Hyper 212X is rated for 150 watts TDP, which should allow a moderate amount of thermal headroom for mild/light overclocking. No, you wont do 5GHz, but this is a bang for the buck part list. Therefore adequete in my book.

The coolers you mention (NH-D14, D15, DR4) are more than "Decent air coolers" those are among the best, high end air coolers on the market.

A 280 or 360mm aio are nice, but not a requirement. My 8700k runs stable and cool on a 240AIO.

The PSU is fine. If you disagree, then oh well i guess.

25 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The psu in that link is a TX not CX. In any case the Grey label CX is still decent. Agree on the cooler.

I think he's referring to the CX550 in the OP, i found the TX550M after i made the OP. But for an extra 5$ going with the TXM unit seems like a no brainer.

2 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

I have to disagree.

The 8700k has a 95 watt TDP. (30 watts more than the 8700) The Hyper 212X is rated for 150 watts TDP, which should allow a moderate amount of thermal headroom for mild/light overclocking. No, you wont do 5GHz, but this is a bang for the buck part list. Therefore adequete in my book.

The PSU is fine. If you disagree, then oh well i guess.

You have no idea How TDP works then, do some homework next time.

TDP is slightly different betweeen AMD and Intel. For INTEL it is the BASE frequency for the cpu. That means it will pull 95 watts at 3.6-3.7 GHZ (depending on what the base is on the MOBO) and it will Exceed that whenever it turbo boosts up to 4.7 GHZ or when overclocked it will go even higher. Some reviers have seen them pull between 120-140 watts before they are throttled, which is not good for that cheap cooler. Id reccomend a Cooler with 250-350 Watts of potential TDP (Like the ones i mentioned) just to keep it in check, as the Themal Playdough intel uses between the IHS and die arent great.

You dont buy expensive hardware and put low end cooling on it, change a few things about the build to maximize your GPU and CPUs performance.

GamersNexus is a great information source for this, i recommend you go look them up and subscribe to educate yourself on how these companies are decieving you with their "TDP" ratings.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

You have no idea How TDP works then, do some homework next time.

TDP is slightly different betweeen AMD and Intel. For INTEL it is the BASE frequency for the cpu. That means it will pull 95 watts at 3.6-3.7 GHZ (depending on what the base is on the MOBO) and it will Exceed that whenever it turbo boosts up to 4.7 GHZ or when overclocked it will go even higher. Some reviers have seen them pull between 120-140 watts before they are throttled, which is not good for that cheap cooler. Id reccomend a Cooler with 250-350 Watts of potential TDP (Like the ones i mentioned) just to keep it in check, as the Themal Playdough intel uses between the IHS and die arent great.

You dont buy expensive hardware and put low end cooling on it, change a few things about the build to maximize your GPU and CPUs performance

GamersNexus is a great information source for this, i recommend you go look them up and subscribe to educate yourself on how these companies are decieving you with their "TDP" ratings.

I know how TDP works.

GN is literally my first source of info for everything in PCs! (Sorry LTT)

Surely you already know that the 4.7 GHz boost is just for a single core though, which wont do a world of change for thermals.

Also, as you probably already know, "some reviewers" mistakenly "used multi core enhancement" for their testing, so unless you can provide specific findings with good testing methodology, then it could have been all core turbo-ing to 4.7 GHz. Which if its consuming 140 Watts for 4.7 GHz on all cores, then i'd say its still adequate for a 150 Watt TDP cooler (assuming temps aren't too high)

You make a good point regarding getting an inexpensive CPU cooler for a high end build though.

I'd still do it, and maybe upgrade to a better cooler when there's a good deal. I go through a lot of builds, so the 212X would surely get use elsewhere. Theres also the Masterliquid 240 on sale right now for $40 so that may do a better job if prefer the AIO route.

Besides, some of the pricing in my OP are no longer available soo... this whole thing is kind of fruitless.