Helping a friend to choose a gpu

Zzzzz69

Hey guys I'm helping a friend over from Canada and he's deciding between a 1080 or to wait until later on for the new gpu from Nvidia. He is most likely going to get the 1160. He said that he doesn't need it but anything good for 1080p is already good. ?? I told him that the 1080 will already do more for 1080p but he still needs help. So if you were in his situation, wait for 1160 or get the 1080? He already has a 24" 1080p 144hz monitor and he is also gonna buy a i5 8600. Any help would be good. Thank you in advance!

The 11 series is not out yet, when it dose launch it will only be with the 1180 and 1170 and it will be some time before anywhere will actually have stock, then it will be another few months before they launch the 1160 cards. I would guess it wouldn't be till the end of the year, and that is IF they launch the 11 series soon at all. All of this is ignoring that the 1080 will likely outperform the 1160. If he is trying to run at 144HZ the 1080 is not too overkill and is a good card. I don't know too much about high refresh rate gaming, but I would say that it is a good choice.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

I personally hate to wait especially if it's something I need and want hence I always buy something when it pops in my mind regardless of price. I would have taken the 1080

The 1160 will be at best a gtx 1070 replacement, the next nvidia gpus will be a pascal refresh, dont expect huge performance jumps between every gen.

So i would say get the gtx 1080.

38 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

The 11 series is not out yet, when it dose launch it will only be with the 1180 and 1170 and it will be some time before anywhere will actually have stock, then it will be another few months before they launch the 1160 cards. I would guess it wouldn't be till the end of the year, and that is IF they launch the 11 series soon at all. All of this is ignoring that the 1080 will likely outperform the 1160. If he is trying to run at 144HZ the 1080 is not too overkill and is a good card. I don't know too much about high refresh rate gaming, but I would say that it is a good choice.

Thank you bro. 

32 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

The 1160 will be at best a gtx 1070 replacement, the next nvidia gpus will be a pascal refresh, dont expect huge performance jumps between every gen.

Thank you!

27 minutes ago, aless83 said:

1070ti, same 1080 performance for less money.

33 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Thank you broo