What can I do with my current build

Here is my build I made a while back, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JTWq7P 

Its starting to show a bit of wear so i'm what I should do inorder to keep it up to speed - whether its worth just upgrading parts or salvaging some parts to make a new build.

Thanks in advance.

Frankly that is not bad as long as you are only trying to drive a single 1080p panel. That CPU should still be good for some time, and if it does start to slow down you can hit it with a nice OC on that cooler. Id say grab another 8GB of RAM, then wait for the NVIDIA 11 series cards. The 970 is starting to age, but is still not a terrible card.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

Unless you're doing some really heavy professional work or virtualization, the 4790k is more than enough for any modern consumer application.

The thing that stands out most to me is the relatively small amount of RAM. How's your typical usage? If it's kind of high, maybe consider putting in another 8GB.

The video card is fine for 1080p60, I wouldn't touch it until at least the 11 series cards are out, and even then you'd be paying a lot for a relatively small gain.

Biggest difference you could make is probably to ditch the 1tb hard drive, particularly if you're gaming on it. If you can afford it, why not replace with a decent 1tb ssd?

2 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

Frankly that is not bad as long as you are only trying to drive a single 1080p panel. That CPU should still be good for some time, and if it does start to slow down you can hit it with a nice OC on that cooler. Id say grab another 8GB of RAM, then wait for the NVIDIA 11 series cards. The 970 is starting to age, but is still not a terrible card.

So the RAM I got is discontinued, not sure if i can mix and match with other RAM or whether I need to buy new RAM?

You can pick some up on eBay, RAM almost never dies from age so getting it used shouldn't be a problem. Other than that you could just get a Hyper X kit with the same frequency/timings. It wouldn't be ideal, but as long as you are not trying to OC your RAM you shouldn't ever notice it, and even then you still could get an acceptable OC on the RAM.

15 minutes ago, MrTrem said:

Here is my build I made a while back, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JTWq7P 

Its starting to show a bit of wear so i'm what I should do inorder to keep it up to speed - whether its worth just upgrading parts or salvaging some parts to make a new build.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, you are pretty solid still. You can push the clocks on your cpu a little higher without much effort and maybe consider picking up a 1060 6gb or maybe a 1070 or 1070ti.

I mean there isn't really a need to unless your games aren't performing like you want. That being said those are all I would suggest to get your current gen.

7 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

Unless you're doing some really heavy professional work or virtualization, the 4790k is more than enough for any modern consumer application.

The thing that stands out most to me is the relatively small amount of RAM. How's your typical usage? If it's kind of high, maybe consider putting in another 8GB.

The video card is fine for 1080p60, I wouldn't touch it until at least the 11 series cards are out, and even then you'd be paying a lot for a relatively small gain.

Biggest difference you could make is probably to ditch the 1tb hard drive, particularly if you're gaming on it. If you can afford it, why not replace with a decent 1tb ssd?

Any ssd you recomend - should it be M.2 drive or a normal ssd?. Also I run 144hz - not sure if that changes anything.

7 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

You can pick some up on eBay, RAM almost never dies from age so getting it used shouldn't be a problem. Other than that you could just get a Hyper X kit with the same frequency/timings. It wouldn't be ideal, but as long as you are not trying to OC your RAM you shouldn't ever notice it, and even then you still could get an acceptable OC on the RAM.

Thanks looking there now, any sort of red flags I should be looking out for?

3 minutes ago, MrTrem said:

Any ssd you recomend - should it be M.2 drive or a normal ssd?. Also I run 144hz - not sure if that changes anything.

I think some folks are still selling it: https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-2400MHz-Non-ECC-HX324C11T3K2/dp/B00M7S8JJW

But SSDs unless you are running out of space I don't think you need to a get a new one, but if you do, just buy a micron 1100, they offer the best price to performance ratio.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 minute ago, MrTrem said:

Thanks looking there now, any sort of red flags I should be looking out for?

Physical damage, bad seller listing, no returns. RAM is actually quite hard to damage and as long as they took acceptable care of it it should be fine On top of that if it is bad you can just return it and if the seller tries to refuse the return ebay will refund you anyway.

34 minutes ago, MrTrem said:

144hz might change slightly, but I'd still maintain the cost to upgrade is very high compared to the gains you'd see. I would still recommend waiting at least until the new cards are out for the 11 series.

Keep in mind a new SSD is not a necessity, but if you did want to go that route I'd say just about any reputable brand SSD will be fine. The jump from HDD to SSD is massive compared to different SSDs, so try to get the best deal at the capacity you want/need. It may help to wait for sales too, I know recently there was a 1TB SSD for just $153 USD on sale.