Help Getting A Win98/XP Game To Run On Win10

SALEEN961

The wife and I were both feeling a little nostalgic lately and wanted to replay some games we remember from our childhood, wanting to play them together I was looking for split screen titles we both played and decided on Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2. Unfortunately thus far I've been unable to get the game to start on my Win10 PC. I've tried running the game in compatibility mode for WIn98 and WinXP, I made sure that DirectPlay is installed, and I made a batch file to start the program with a specific CPU core affinity. The game now starts to load but immediately crashes, initially there was no indication that trying to open the game was doing anything at all.

Can anyone offer some tips I what I can do to get this working?

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

Write click on executable file, properties the go to the compatibility tab and tick the unticked box select winxp, apply and run as admin

Run a virtual machine using windows 98/XP . Virtualbox should do

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

10 minutes ago, Saalih said:

Write click on executable file, properties the go to the compatibility tab and tick the unticked box select winxp, apply and run as admin

Very seldom does compatibility mode actually work as intended...

Running an XP virtual machine may be an idea, though not only are they spotty as far as supporting GPU acceleration at all, you may run into issues out of virtue of having a much newer GPU than what the game supports. If this fails to work, building a dedicated retro PC may be the best option.

For this game in particular, most suggestions I see tend to point to running the PS2 version in pcsx2. If you have a sufficiently strong cpu, this will probably be the easiest and cheapest option. The PS2 version apparently has more content anyhow.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

VirtualBox can emulate a GeForce 6800 when you enable 3D acceleration. Though I'm not sure if there's an actual minimum requirement for this. However, I believe this is only good for Windows XP and after. My experience with Windows 9x on VirtualBox has been that it only supports basic features. Guest Additions are compatible with it which would enable a lot of the goodies. You could try the steps in https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59559 to see if it gets you what you want if you do the VM route.