I really hate whoever designed the mobo USB 3.0 header...

I'm sure everyone has had this thought as they were building their PC. 

I was building in another build with my Asus Z370i motherboard and I had unplug the USB 3.0 header for the case from the Motherboard, not only is it bulky and annoying to work around, its hard to do some clean cable management in ITX builds. I pull out the cable and when I go back to plugging it back in, I notice it looks weird on the motherboard. It's missing pins! I look at the case plug and look at that, theres 2 pins stuck in there. 

I'm guessing the stress of the cable being pushed back and forth while doing cable management while plugged in loosened it. Its MY  fault yes. I know. Its just annoying to work with and I wish it was able to be fixed or USB 3.1 gen 2 becomes more widespread. I'm guessing theres no real way to fix it is there. 

rip Case USB 3 for this build. I guess i can get a usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 adapter for the motherboard. 

P.S. Before anyone may say I'm a noob or something. I've done many builds before, This is the 4th case for my z370i to be in, so I'm guessing the stress just gave in. 

6 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

I'm sure everyone has had this thought as they were building their PC. 

I was building in another build with my Asus Z370i motherboard and I had unplug the USB 3.0 header for the case from the Motherboard, not only is it bulky and annoying to work around, its hard to do some clean cable management in ITX builds. I pull out the cable and when I go back to plugging it back in, I notice it looks weird on the motherboard. It's missing pins! I look at the case plug and look at that, theres 2 pins stuck in there. 

I'm guessing the stress of the cable being pushed back and forth while doing cable management while plugged in loosened it. Its MY  fault yes. I know. Its just annoying to work with and I wish it was able to be fixed or USB 3.1 gen 2 becomes more widespread. I'm guessing theres no real way to fix it is there. 

rip Case USB 3 for this build. I guess i can get a usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 adapter for the motherboard. 

P.S. Before anyone may say I'm a noob or something. I've done many builds before, This is the 4th case for my z370i to be in, so I'm guessing the stress just gave in. 

https://www.amazon.com/Front-Panel-Header-Extension-Motherboard/dp/B077RWWJ5G

look for something like this. (hopefully a cheaper one)

It really should have just been USB ports on the motherboards. That way you could use them directly internally if you need to. 

Why they are headers at all is stupid.

5 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

you don't happen to have any tips on how to remove the pins from the header do you? 

If you had a super strong magnet maybe..?

One time I accidentally broke a bunch of the usb 3 pins off and now only 1 front usb slot works.

I agree the usb 3 things are bulky and annoying.

2 minutes ago, Spud11 said:

If you had a super strong magnet maybe..?

One time I accidentally broke a binch of the usb 3 pins off and now only 1 front usb slot works.

I agree the usb 3 things are bulky and annoying.

theyre non magnetic i think... the one that is out doesnt stick 

mine keeps keeps getting unplugged . It's annoying

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

You may have to cut some thin layers off the plug and try to get some grip from tweezers or something similar.

Also, +1 for hating stupidly designed connectors like usb3.0, case headers (power, reset, hdd etc - standardize a layout and make a plug), even mobo 24-pin is stupid.

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

hmmm.... using gorilla tape and tring to get it stick and pull out, after a few tries it disappeared from the header but its not stuck on the tape. errr yay?