House cat 6 isn’t working

Kd4lif3
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
2 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

All I know is that each cable in the module is labeled corosponding to a cat 6 outlet in the house 

Connect the cable coming from a router to a port in the wall, then plug a PC into the end of the corresponding port. If you get a connection, then they're wired up through the wall. 

Then, get a switch, plug the cables from the wall into the switch and one from the switch into the router. Now you have a connection from each of the ports around the building. 

I just moved into a new house which has cat 6 outlets installed throughout the house however the ISP guy came and left without properly setting up the wired connections. He said something about microwave interference messing with the network but I really don’t see the big deal with it. I tried my pc on the wired network and of course it didn’t work. So I went to the main electrical panel and found a number of labeled cables, which I believe are for cable tv, unplugged from any source. Otherwise all of the blue cat cables were plugged into the centeral switch next to the panel. There is no cat 6 cable plugged into the router or the respective cat wall outlet but it didn’t seem to make a difference either way (I tried). I’m at a bit of a loss on this issue. I was excited to get my pc up and running but given this problem I don’t know how I’ll get internet.image.thumb.jpg.d1856358ed53919eeb4b4fac94816a9b.jpg

i sould mention that the wifi does work however my pc is in another room from the router and does not have a wifi card.

Update. image.thumb.jpg.3dbcd3e00da33cc9e40e0fbe47aadc95.jpg

this is the cable going into the swich in the basement. 

I expected pictures of cat, but get none.

I'm sad

But how can the ISP guy just leave like that?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

What is that user guide/manual behind the panel for? 

That panel looks more like a patch panel than anything else, though I can only see one cables going into it, and it's not wired properly (the white cable to the left). 

Do all of those blue cables go into a switch on the other end? Do the ports on the panel pass through the wall?

That module is a voice distribution module. To set up the network around the house, you want the ports to be connected to a switch, not that module. 

The cable that is going to the switch is 1. not wired to the module properly and 2. seems to be cut, though that may be the picture making it look that way.

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What is that user guide/manual behind the panel for? 

That panel looks more like a patch panel than anything else, though I can only see one cables going into it, and it's not wired properly (the white cable to the left). 

Do all of those blue cables go into a switch on the other end? Do the ports on the panel pass through the wall?

As the picture shows the line in cable is not attached to anything, the one blue cable on the left is labeled flex room and is attached to the router. All the other cables are attached to the wall in female adapters.

That one cable on the left is the only one connected to anything in the house (the router).

1 minute ago, Kd4lif3 said:

As the picture shows the line in cable is not attached to anything, the one blue cable on the left is labeled flex room and is attached to the router. All the other cables are attached to the wall in female adapters

Sounds like what you want to do is connect the cable from the router into a switch (again, that panel they're plugged into isn't a network switch), then connect all those cables into the switch as well. 

If everything is wired through the walls correctly, then the ports on the other end of the wall sockets should then work on the network. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That module is a voice distribution module. To set up the network around the house, you want the ports to be connected to a switch, not that module. 

The cable that is going to the switch is 1. not wired to the module properly and 2. seems to be cut, though that may be the picture making it look that way.

As Oshino says, this is for telephone connections, not internet.  Manual here:  https://www.suttlesolutions.com//pdfs/instruction-sheets/SAM-V8M_man.pdf   

2 minutes ago, Kd4lif3 said:

All I know is that each cable in the module is labeled corosponding to a cat 6 outlet in the house 

Connect the cable coming from a router to a port in the wall, then plug a PC into the end of the corresponding port. If you get a connection, then they're wired up through the wall. 

Then, get a switch, plug the cables from the wall into the switch and one from the switch into the router. Now you have a connection from each of the ports around the building. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Sounds like what you want to do is connect the cable from the router into a switch (again, that panel they're plugged into isn't a network switch), then connect all those cables into the switch as well. 

If everything is wired through the walls correctly, then the ports on the other end of the wall sockets should then work on the network. 

image.thumb.jpg.4bb19eac3edd21c74ff49cc68ec5f3f8.jpgthat’s the closest thing I have to a switch. I usually use it for the tv, Apple TV, and consol in the living room. Otherwise all I know is that every one of the cable in that module run directly to an outlet. 

1 minute ago, Kd4lif3 said:

image.thumb.jpg.4bb19eac3edd21c74ff49cc68ec5f3f8.jpgthat’s the closest thing I have to a switch. I usually use it for the tv, Apple TV, and consol in the living room. Otherwise all I know is that every one of the cable in that module run directly to an outlet. 

Take some of the cables from that module and plug them into the ports on your router/switch and see if the corresponding ports around the house work. 

I have some moving stuff to do. I’ll be inactive for the next hour or so. Thanks for the help so far

37 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Thanks a lot for the help.image.thumb.jpg.3e82689fe3514deeb39bcac56332926c.jpg

I now have working internet on 4 of my nine ports. I’m going to buy a bigger switch to acomadate the rest of these cables.