3.9GB of RAM out of 8.0GB

Okay so I have been reading the forums all day and seen a lot of posts similar to my issue with either no resolution or the same answers over and over again, I have tried everything stated on forums and from customer support, I have 8gb of DDR4 in 2x4gb sticks, just to keep it simple without re typing everything the system was fine since I built it new about 6 months ago, I never overclocked so thats not an issue, ive also never had a single issue with my pc until yesterday, I wanted to upgrade graphics cards from a 1050ti to a 1060 6gb, after installing the VGA half of my RAM was reserved for system hardware, after plenty of troubleshooting and no answers I decided to put the 1050ti back into my pc, with no luck half of my RAM is still reserved by "system hardware", Ive done tests to ensure both sticks are still fully functioning, Ive flashed the BIOS to the latest update, ive tested that my power supply is pushing enough wattage and even painfully restored my PC, I have run out of options and after $450 for a new VGA im not about to give up on the system, and yes even the bios shows both sticks of memory in the system fully functioning but even in the bios its locked to 4096mb

ASUS Strix B350-F

Ryzen 1300X

Ballistic Sport LT 4gb x 2

Evga 400W PSU

Gigabyte 1060 6GB

Samsung Evo 970 NVMe M.2 250gb

Samsung Evo 860 SSD 500gb

RAM Hardware Reserved.PNG

Ive had similar issue.

Try reseating the Ram

Use the second set of Ramslots

Test each stick induvidually

Clear the CMOS first, see where that gets you. I'm pretty stumped, can't see where that hardware reserved is going since the Ryzen 1300X doesn't have onboard graphics. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I have re-seated the RAM, I moved them from DIMM slots A1 and B1 to A2 and B2, the only thing that I found odd was if I put in 1 stick of RAM, my pc will launch with no post codes and never show a signal on my monitor

Honestly that would be the only thing I didnt think of trying, because it isnt an APU i was also really stumped on so much reserved memory, I will give that a try and let you know what happens.

Are you using a 32 bit version of Windows? 

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

42 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Clear the CMOS first, see where that gets you. I'm pretty stumped, can't see where that hardware reserved is going since the Ryzen 1300X doesn't have onboard graphics. 

Okay so I cleared the CMOS and it is still showing the same thing, 3.9gb usable out of 8gb, 4.1 reserved for hardware

24 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Are you using a 32 bit version of Windows? 

I am using a 64bit version of windows on a x64 system

I have read that sometimes improper timings and voltage can cause a stick to go into system reserved . Have you tried to set your voltage to 1.2 and maybe pick a bios ram profile for your ram.  Its a long shot I know.

Steam Profile

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 3800 MHz (38.00 x 100)  /Offset + v 0.018

Asus Hero VI Motherboard
NZXT Kraken X62

G Skill F4-3200C14-8GFX  O.C. 3200 MHZ (14-14-14-28 ) x 2   1.4 v
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2  (8 GB)
27 Dell 2K 144 Hz G sync display

Long shot, but did you check to make sure Windows is not causing this issue...because Windows.

• Search for 'System Configuration' in Windows search
  • Click on the 'Boot' tab
  • Click on the 'Advanced Configuration' button
  • Make sure the 'Maximum Memory" check box is UNCHECKED
  • Click 'OK' and restart the system

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Have you tried turning igpu off in bios? 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

Sounds like a bad stick of RAM. Run memtest86 and see if it finds any errors. Also make sure that the RAM is in the correct slot configuration - check the motherboard manual for the correct configuration.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

2 hours ago, MrBOT said:

I have read that sometimes improper timings and voltage can cause a stick to go into system reserved . Have you tried to set your voltage to 1.2 and maybe pick a bios ram profile for your ram.  Its a long shot I know.

The voltage and timings are default, but not sure what you mean by picking a bios ram profile

2 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Long shot, but did you check to make sure Windows is not causing this issue...because Windows.

• Search for 'System Configuration' in Windows search
  • Click on the 'Boot' tab
  • Click on the 'Advanced Configuration' button
  • Make sure the 'Maximum Memory" check box is UNCHECKED
  • Click 'OK' and restart the system

2 hours ago, O9B0666 said:

Have you tried turning igpu off in bios? 

that would be the most common answer I could find, but it isn't checked and never was, also I don't have igpu as the 1300x doesn't have integrated graphics

1 hour ago, Husky said:

Sounds like a bad stick of RAM. Run memtest86 and see if it finds any errors. Also make sure that the RAM is in the correct slot configuration - check the motherboard manual for the correct configuration.

I have run the windows troubleshooter and memtest, both scan the 2 sticks and say nothing is wrong

9 hours ago, HghrPrspctv705 said:

that would be the most common answer I could find, but it isn't checked and never was, also I don't have igpu as the 1300x doesn't have integrated graphics

it's the most common cause it does actually take memory and it reflects on your usable, well none the less good luck and hope you figure it out.

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

Well exactly like I seen in another post, my issue seems to have resolved itself after ive completely givin up hope, I was about to RMA the RAM sticks back to Crucial and I turned on my pc to play one last match of R6 (because of my area it would take roughly a month to get the sticks back) and what do you know I have all 7.9gb of RAM available out of 8gb just like before, thank you all for the answers, one of the most frustrating pc experiences of my life, never thought something could just stop working and fix itself

Capture.PNG

• 1 year later...

Hello,

what was the solution here???

I have the same issue with a different mainboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P rev 2.1 without integrated VGA with FX-8370E CPU.

Win 10 x64 Pro v1909 , tried with more 1600 Mhz RAM sticks.

Unable to run the 2 sticks in dual channel mode, the Windows put one of them to hardware reserved.

The only one solution is the single channel mode by using the last 2 RAM slots on the mobo. (Slot no. 2 and 4 - grey and black)

But using the 2 sticks in single channel mode is absolutly bad idea in this case because the much slower memory bandwidth.