GPU Tweak 2 not applying settings? Or overclocking GPU makes no difference?

Hi there, i'm using the ASUS GPU Tweak 2 on my ASUS Strix 1080ti (OC edition) and i've tried testing the default gpu mode, GPU Tweaks built in preset OC mode and my own manual overclock on the gpu. All three of these gpu settings changed in the GPU Tweak software yield the exact same results in both games and benchmarking software in terms of average fps values. Which indicates to me that overclocking my gpu does nothing to improve performance or that the GPU Tweak software is not applying settings.

Now my question is, does the GPU Tweak software have to be running at all times, (checking the setting that says start GPU Tweak at boot time) or can I close the program and not have to run it all the time and after a reboot it will still apply my overlock settings still?

If it helps these are the preset OC mode settings and my manual overclock settings.

ASUS GPU Tweak 2 Preset OC mode settings:

GPU Boost Clock: + 25

GPU Voltage %: + 0 (default)

Memory clock: + 90

Power Target %: + 0 (default)

Manual Overlock Settings:

GPU Boost Clock: + 50

GPU Voltage %: + 100

Memory clock: + 500

Power Target %: + 20 (to reach 120%)

Thanks, GR412.

Download something like RivaTuner and run a benchmark. If the GPU clock shows the one you set in GPU Tweak then the OC is successful. Either try to reinstall GPU Tweak, or just use some other program, like MSI Afterburner.

54 minutes ago, GR412 said:

Hi there, i'm using the ASUS GPU Tweak 2 on my ASUS Strix 1080ti (OC edition) and i've tried testing the default gpu mode, GPU Tweaks built in preset OC mode and my own manual overclock on the gpu. All three of these gpu settings changed in the GPU Tweak software yield the exact same results in both games and benchmarking software in terms of average fps values. Which indicates to me that overclocking my gpu does nothing to improve performance or that the GPU Tweak software is not applying settings.

I encountered the same problem, as the settings were indeed not applied after pressing the apply button. 

You can easily check whether the core clock changes under load either in the tool itself or in an fps overlay

I would usually fix it by just restarting my PC. Haven't really tried any other OC tools since I got my Asus card though, they might not have the same issue.

SFF PC - Dan Case A4-SFX V4.1 | Asus ROG Strix B450-i | AMD Ryzen R5 3600 4.2GHz @ 1.08V | Asetek 645LT AiO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 | EVGA 1080Ti SC | Corsair SF600 Platinum | Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD 1TB

Mid Tower - NZXT Noctis 450 | Asus Z270 Maximus IX Hero | Intel Core i7-7700K delid 5GHz @ 1.32V | NZXT Kraken X62 AiO | Corsair Vengeance LED 3200MHz CL16 | ASUS ROG Strix GTX1080 (a8g) | Corsair RM850 | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD 500GB | WD Blue 4TB

I remember my msi gtx 670 would not respond to overclock commands.

however it overclocked itself to 1256 mhz so...

I could giv eit +1 or +1000mhz and it wouldn't budge. sometimes it would but by a disproportionate amount

weird

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

6 hours ago, Od1sseas said:

F*ck that sh*t. MSI Afterburner is the best

Well i did hear that was the overclockers choice. But it turns out i just need to run gpu tweak all the time for the overlock to apply, which is a bit shit. And even when the overclock has applied there is no fps increase in games, so i think i'm wasting my time anyway.

6 hours ago, OnyxTheYeen said:

Download something like RivaTuner and run a benchmark. If the GPU clock shows the one you set in GPU Tweak then the OC is successful. Either try to reinstall GPU Tweak, or just use some other program, like MSI Afterburner.

I managed to sort it by just running the gpu tweak software all the time. It applies the overclock and I can see the increase in Mhz in HW-Monitor. The only problem is that even when this overclock is applied it gives no performace boost in regard to fps in games at all which is strange.

3 hours ago, LOST TALE said:

I remember my msi gtx 670 would not respond to overclock commands.

however it overclocked itself to 1256 mhz so...

I could giv eit +1 or +1000mhz and it wouldn't budge. sometimes it would but by a disproportionate amount

weird

Thats funny, my last card of 2 weeks ago was a 670, which i replaced with my 1080 ti. I think i sorted the issue anyway. It turns out i need to run the gpu tweak software all the time to apply the overclock. But even so it gives zero performance boost to fps in games which i don't understand.

6 hours ago, ZyrtX said:

I encountered the same problem, as the settings were indeed not applied after pressing the apply button. 

You can easily check whether the core clock changes under load either in the tool itself or in an fps overlay

I would usually fix it by just restarting my PC. Haven't really tried any other OC tools since I got my Asus card though, they might not have the same issue.

I fixed it, it turns out you need to run the program all the time to apply the overclock. I can see the increase in MHz in HW-Monitor. However even with the overclock applied, there is no performance gain in fps on games at all. Which is even stranger.

13 hours ago, GR412 said:

I fixed it, it turns out you need to run the program all the time to apply the overclock. I can see the increase in MHz in HW-Monitor. However even with the overclock applied, there is no performance gain in fps on games at all. Which is even stranger.

Okay, so that is different from my experience. In my case, it does not properly apply, even though I am not quitting the tool after dialing in the OC.

Anyway, no fps gain is indeed strange. Dumb question - are you sure you are not reaching a set fps cap ingame (either by an fps cap or vsync/gsync)?

If that's not the case, are the clocks actually higher than before the OC while playing said game? The GPU will not run on the highest clocks if there's not enough load.

SFF PC - Dan Case A4-SFX V4.1 | Asus ROG Strix B450-i | AMD Ryzen R5 3600 4.2GHz @ 1.08V | Asetek 645LT AiO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 | EVGA 1080Ti SC | Corsair SF600 Platinum | Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD 1TB

Mid Tower - NZXT Noctis 450 | Asus Z270 Maximus IX Hero | Intel Core i7-7700K delid 5GHz @ 1.32V | NZXT Kraken X62 AiO | Corsair Vengeance LED 3200MHz CL16 | ASUS ROG Strix GTX1080 (a8g) | Corsair RM850 | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD 500GB | WD Blue 4TB

1 hour ago, ZyrtX said:

Okay, so that is different from my experience. In my case, it does not properly apply, even though I am not quitting the tool after dialing in the OC.

Anyway, no fps gain is indeed strange. Dumb question - are you sure you are not reaching a set fps cap ingame (either by an fps cap or vsync/gsync)?

If that's not the case, are the clocks actually higher than before the OC while playing said game? The GPU will not run on the highest clocks if there's not enough load.

Yeah i've disabled vsync / enabled ulimited fps to make sure the fps isn't capped to my refresh rate (144hz). Also i'm sure the clocks are higher after my overclock according to HW-Monitor. Before my overclock the clocks sat around the 1980 - 2000 MHz range, whereas now they sit at 2038 MHz. I applied these settings as my overclock:

GPU Boost Clock: + 50

GPU Voltage %: + 100

Memory clock: + 500

Power Target %: + 20 (to reach 120%)

I can't get any higher than + 50 without the gpu crashing. I'm starting to think that this overclock is not significant and maybe i've been unlucky on the silicon lottery, as i've seen a lot of people achieve + 100 on the gpu boost clock.