Hdr gaming on pc. Flawed on all current HDMI 2.0 TVs?

Gdourado

Hello, how are you?

I am thinking about this. 
Currently, all TVs that support Hdr only have HDMI 2.0 inputs.

This input limits the full usage of Hdr with a pc as source. 
This is because HDMI 2.0 can only display 4k at 60hz with Chroma 444 but only with 8bit color.

To be able to use 10 bit color you need to drop the Chroma subsampling to 422.

So, with any current TV, you can either game at 4k 60 with 444 and 8 bit Hdr or 4k 60 with 10 bit Hdr but 422 Chroma.

What I want to know is how bad does any of these options limit the image quality?

For example, on the ps4 pro, assassin's creed origins supports Hdr. But since the game on the ps4 only runs at 30fps, it can run full 10bit Hdr and with 444 Chroma.

On the pc, the same game has Hdr support. But to run at 60fps you either have to drop the Hdr to 8bit or drop the Chroma to 422.

In either case, how would the game look?
What is the better trade-off?
And are both pc options worse for image quality compared to the ps4 pro version?

Cheers. 

i don't quite well realize what hdr is , i just know call of duty doesn't have it . 

34 minutes ago, hammerfast said:

i don't quite well realize what hdr is , i just know call of duty doesn't have it . 

Well that's really insightful. Thanks...

OP: For tha majority of games, 4:2:2 will not be noticeable compared to 4:4:4.It's only really fine text that is noticeable anyway, but if you're hooking your PC up to a TV you're likely to be sitting far enough away that you won't be using really small text (where the 4:2:2 limitations become at all noticeable).