WAN Show, Blogger Tax in East Africa

Drexler.

Jambo from Tanzania! 

Actually, I'm from Toronto. 

I've worked and lived in Tanzania for 9 of the last 14 years. It was really good to hear you guys talking about the blog and social media tax in places like Uganda and Tanzania. Even more surprised that Jamii Forums was brought up. Don't ask how it happened, but I manage the largest off-topic group in Tanzania, so these new laws have been a focus for us. 

Generally though, as someone with a deep tech background, I've noticed how little attention people pay to the state of technology in this part of the world. Understandable, many still think Africa is a country. But the state of tech is quite sophisticated all-around. Whether it's in innovation (home of MPESA mobile banking), or security and censorship. There are many similarities between the sorts of draconian policy pushed by hardliners in the west, and how the Cybercrime unit operates. 

Because of that, one of the reasons I'm making this post is as a mild warning.

There is no censorship here, it's not like China. Though, during elections and protests, bandwidth is flat-lined. James said something interesting - he basically alluded to that these crimes can be enforced based solely on whether you like someone. Nailed it. People here blog all the time. There is a gigantic expat community, the people here are born entrepreneurs and super tech savvy in the larger cities. Blogging happens, no one is paying any licensing, and it is unenforced. These licenses are simply a warning, should they choose to enforce them, make sure everything is in order. The warning is to anyone who speaks of anything controversial.

Tanzania is widely known as the most stable democracy in Africa. However, it has been run by a single party (Chama Cha Mapinduzi) since independence. Naturally, opposition forms. This isn't dictatorial though. There are term limits (and no one challenges the constitution on this), the leaders of CCM vary in ideology, and they're generally widely liked and supported. There's the old adage here that Tanzanians are too lazy to think about how lazy they are. So.. no war. But how does the government stay in power? These licenses serve no purpose other than to suppress dissent, and many bloggers have been arrested for even being mildly critical. Yesterday, the leader of an opposition party was arrested simply for insulting the President.

Sound familiar?

Uganda is a bit different, for them it's a moneymaking scheme. 

But I just wanted to say a few things as a Canadian living Tanzania and being deeply involved in the social media scene here. And to thank Luke and James for their very warm and unbiased approach to speaking on this topic. Like I said, many people don't really acknowledge African countries with any importance, Luke and James spoke of TZ on an even keel. But do pay attention to particularly to what's happening in East Africa, it's a very modern region of the continent, and they're definitely getting help from western firms. I almost see this as a roadmap for what may happen in western countries if we allow our governments to strip away protections. 

Thanks again, this was an interesting NAW show!

Nice for you to make this more well known. Many (myself included) aren't well versed in that field.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/