Android system updates policy

stratege1401

Hello all.

Dear Linus team, 

My question is relative to ASUS zenpad tablets and their android system ( and by extention all  products ).

Today, i have TWO zenpad tablets:
- More than one year ago, i bought a (model designed in september 2016) Z500M witch came with Android 6 and later, was updated to Android  7 and Android 8.  Witch is rare enought to be pinpoint.
- A week ago, after stupidly breaking my z500m screen, i bought a fev 2018 Z301MF, witch is ship with Android 7. After an officiel question about Android 8 update to ASUS ( Service No=E1807017067 ), it seem no update plan are made for this Z301MF.

I can't understand why such a brand new hardware is not coming with the latest, most secure, most advance Android system. I can't understand why this Z301MF was build with knowned hardware who are not supported by Andoid 8.

Is this stupidity, is this laziness, or is this disrespect for customers ??

- Stupidity: lack of intelligence during hardware pick-up process ? Also called furniture politic !
- Laziness: lack of willingness to provide high end hardware ? The older the better ?
- Disrespect: with all those news about security holes in hardware/software, distributing an old andoid system is a non-sense on a marketing side? Who the Fxxxx cares, after all you are just a customer.

Last week, Google Makes it Mandatory for OEMs to Roll Out Android Security Updates Regularly. So i would ask what about making Mandatory for OEMs to roll out the latest Android version with brand new hardware ??

After buying the brand new Z301MF, i just feel like having bought the latest microsoft surface with a windows 3.11 on it.

I would like to have some kind of insite explanation for this software politic ?!!!!!! And i think this would be some kind of high value video from your team.

Thanks.

Simple rules:

- If it works, dont update it.

- You don't know how, just do it, you will learn.

- Test, restest, test again, and maybe it will do it.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=919931

4 minutes ago, stratege1401 said:

I can't understand why such a brand new hardware is not coming with the latest, most secure, most advance Android system. I can't understand why this Z301MF was build with knowned hardware who are not supported by Andoid 8.

Is this stupidity, is this laziness, or is this disrespect for customers ??

https://www.howtogeek.com/129273/why-your-android-phone-isnt-getting-operating-system-updates-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/why-isnt-your-old-phone-getting-nougat-theres-blame-enough-to-go-around/

HTC-Anatomy-of-an-Android.jpg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

22 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

In other words....This "software update model" has so much bureaucracy in it that it might as well be called the US Government.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Thank you for this incredibly complicate and so nice graphic explanation !!

This answer a part of my question only, unfortunatly.

Your graphic explain the hard process of updating an android phone device over his life span.

In my case, i am just talking about a simple phatblet, using wifi only, technicaly design less than 5 month ago ( Asus design for Z301MF is february 2018, Android O is available since june 2017 ).

The Tablet hardware is:

My question is why Android 7 was choosen for such a brand new hardware ? 

It is like Boing or Airbus are going back to propellers for the 2018 airplanes ... or microsoft installing windows 3.11 on their hardware instead of windows 10 ( witch, in that case might be better after all ).

This would be a nice video subject for Linus team !

Simple rules:

3 minutes ago, stratege1401 said:

This would be a nice video subject for Linus team !

You can have it suggested as a Techquickie episode 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

guess what, i've pick up the good day to start this thread.

Oneplus just gave away his software maintenance schedule: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/oneplus-software-maintenance-schedule.862347/

oneplus-software-maintenance-schedule-pn

would be nice to have clarity like this from others company

Simple rules: