Any good recommendations for $10-$15 LGA 775 CPU'S?

Go to solution Solved by Defunct Lizard,

I'm just gonna buy a core 2 quad q8400

I an upgrading an old 775 system with a Pentium e5700 dual core, I am looking at the core to quad 8400, but it's only a 50% increase of what we had before. And i'd like it to be more of a significant upgrade, (around $15-$20) any suggestions?

i don't want to use the 771 to 775 mod.

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

32 minutes ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

I an upgrading an old 775 system with a Pentium e5700 dual core, I am looking at the core to quad 8400, but it's only a 50% increase of what we had before. And i'd like it to be more of a significant upgrade, (around $15-$20) any suggestions?

Honestly it would be a waste of money investing in such an old platform, you should try and look for a new PC even if it's an old office pre-built from Ebay that has an i5 2400. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

36 minutes ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

Only a 50% increase? That's not something to scoff at. But anyway, I wouldn't even bother upgrading it. I would save up just get a new PC.

Think about it like this, if you have a really old car, and you keep upgrading the engine for example, it won't be very effective at all, because the other parts are old too and will die out. (sorry it's a bad analogy)

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

What are you looking to do/improve in with a CPU upgrade? 

Also make sure your motherboard supports the chip you're upgrading to.  IMO I'd try to stretch for a sandy bridge system but if you have to stay on the board you're on, I'd double check that it's on the supported cpu list of your board.

5 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

What are you looking to do/improve in with a CPU upgrade? 

Also make sure your motherboard supports the chip you're upgrading to.  IMO I'd try to stretch for a sandy bridge system but if you have to stay on the board you're on, I'd double check that it's on the supported cpu list of your board.

I'm just looking for an older CPU, all he does is web browsing and he doesn't want to spend that much money. I'm just trying to upgrade the CPU!

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

6 minutes ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

I'm just looking for an older CPU, all he does is web browsing and he doesn't want to spend that much money. I'm just trying to upgrade the CPU!

Look up the motherboard model (or if it's an OEM like Dell/HP, look up the model).  There's usually a supported cpu list in the manual or on the support page.  C2Q q8000 chips may be compatible, but you may be safer with a c2q q6600.  Reason being is that the q8000 and e8000 series was newer and such.

Q6600 is also pretty common, so it tends to go at a good price.

9 minutes ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

You see though an old office pre-built with an i5 2400 from Ebay would make more sense, it just would I'm afraid. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

3 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

You see though an old office pre-built with an i5 2400 from Ebay would make more sense, it just would I'm afraid. 

I agree it's just about the damn best you can do on a budget of around $100 if you are in the US or a country that sells lots of those.  But even a q6600 should still be able to web browse.

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

But even a q6600 should still be able to web browse.

A Q6600 was a fantastic CPU at the time but it's now 11 years old and there are much better options from 'newer' generations. It just isn't worth it anymore, if this is his only option then I'd actually suggest he keeps using what he has and slowly phase it out for a newer PC. 

زندگی از چراغ

1 minute ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

Please don't, if this is his only option then tell to keep what he has and slowly phase it out for a 'newer' PC. 

زندگی از چراغ

1 hour ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

Why did you create this forum anyway? We all told you what to do haha.

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

3 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

A Q6600 was a fantastic CPU at the time but it's now 11 years old and there are much better options from 'newer' generations. It just isn't worth it anymore, if this is his only option then I'd actually suggest he keeps using what he has and slowly phase it out for a newer PC. 

Its still perfectly usable for basic tasks - its a little slower then the G4560, which was still recommended for entry level builds until a couple months ago... spending 15€ to get an 11 year old build to last another year isn't a terrible price.

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

3 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I mostly agree on the grounds that a c2q probably won't 'feel' much faster than a pentium dual core from the same era in most normal 'desktop' tasks.

When you're talking sheer value of SB, especially for some light gaming, it's loads better.  But you can theoretically still watch youtube and surf the web on Core 2 chips just fine if they have a good amount of ram (and even a ssd, dare I say).