Can I transfer my Windows 10 Professional license?

ywdj
Go to solution Solved by Rainbow Dash,

You can move the license, when you move it over it will ask for the license and all you have to do is enter the license key and it will register your new computer. The original laptop licence is OEM so you cannot move the Home edition.

Hi, I'm building a new computer soon, and I have an old laptop with an active Windows 10 Professional license and was wondering if I could transfer it to my new computer. The laptop originally ran Windows 8 when I bought it, I updated it to Windows 8.1, then to Windows 10 Home. I later bought a Windows 10 Professional license for it online, and upgraded the laptop to Windows 10 Professional. Is there any chance I could move the license from my laptop to the new computer? Would save me a bit of money.

You can move the license, when you move it over it will ask for the license and all you have to do is enter the license key and it will register your new computer. The original laptop licence is OEM so you cannot move the Home edition.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

So downgrade the laptop to Windows 10 Home, and use my Windows 10 Professional license key to activate on my new computer?

3 minutes ago, ywdj said:

So downgrade the laptop to Windows 10 Home, and use my Windows 10 Professional license key to activate on my new computer?

That's what you have to do or else your laptop will have no Windows license.

3 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

That's what you have to do or else your laptop will have no Windows license.

Ah, thanks for helping me!