Desktop not always posting correctly

jamie7barnes

Hi,

Over the past half a year, the computer I assembled back in 2016 has been having numerous issues. Running up to recent weeks, the computer would occasionally crash and freeze for no reason (this has not happened in a while though) but also there would be strange glitches such as programmes randomly freezing. In the past two weeks, the computer would sometimes fail to post with a message saying "The system has POSTed in safe mode" ( i will attach a picture of the whole screen). Looking around, this pointed to a RAM issue but after running a memory test, no problems were found. I also read that a bad power supply could cause this. My power supply is a corsair VS550 which I understand is regarded as being awful. 

What I am wondering is first of all, could it be a power supply fault (I can only monitor voltages using the motherboard as I have nothing else to use)  they fluctuate between 11.7 and 12.1 depending on load and if it is, would I need to provide evidence to corsair to claim the warranty. Could the issue be motherboard related too. The screen on the boot up warning says the "press F1 to run setup" but this only results in a black screen. The BIOS can be accessed on a normal boot though.

The specs of my PC are:

-i3 6100

-Asus H110m-a motherboard

-Gigabyte GTX 1050 ti

-Basic 2x4gb hyperx DDR4 2133Mhz ram

-Samsung 860 evo SSD and WD blue 1TB HDD

-Corsair VS550

IMG_5062.JPG

You may want to try and update your BIOS. The latest update is version 3805 and you're on version 3402. Download the latest from here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H110M-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/

What memory test did you run? I found that memtest86 works the best and tends to show errors even if Windows Memory Diagnostic didn't.

You should also reset your BIOS to defaults both before the update, and then again afterwards.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Hi,

To test the memory, I just used the built in windows memory diagnostics tool. I will update the BIOS and test the memory again using memtest86.