Dual monitor with 144 Hz on both

Alphaz

Hey there,

I currently have only one monitor Benq 24" LED XL2420G NVIDIA G-Sync connected to my ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 through DisplayPort and running on 1080p 144 Hz.

I want to buy a second one but i also want both of them running at 144 Hz. I am not good with tech but did my research and i think it will work, but i'd appreciate if someone with more experience confirms.

My graphic card has 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI 2.0, 1x DVI-I and 1x DVI-D.

My current monitor has 1x DisplayPort, 2x HDMI, 1x DVI

I did research that i can run 144 Hz on DVI-D Dual Link, so technically i could connect my new monitor through DisplayPort and the current one to DVI-D Dual Link and run both on 144 Hz. Am i correct on that?

Also, i am confused with naming of DVI. I apparently need exactly DVI-D Dual Link, not anything else (DVI-I, Single links etc.), will this socket work?

gii91Oo.png

I am slightly confused, because in all specifications my graphic card socket is listed as DVI-D but for my monitor it's listed as DVI without the "-D". Are they the same?

Also, i will most likely be buying a G-Sync monitor again but it works only on DisplayPort. I plan on making my current monitor into a secondary one, and the new one as my primary for gaming.

I won't be playing games on the secondary one, so i don't really mind not having G-Sync on it, but i have read somewhere that G-Sync monitors are built so 144 Hz on them can be activated only through DisplayPort. Is that true? Will i not be able to get 144 Hz on DVI connection on it because it has G-Sync that i won't be utilizing?

Sorry for long post, appreciate all help!

https://www.amazon.es/Club-3D-CAC-1070-Adaptador-DisplayPort/dp/B017BQ8I54

Dp to hdmi 2.0 is a thing 

So hdmi 2.0 to dp second monitor (i dont know if gsync will work)
dp on your first monitor :D

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

13 minutes ago, Alphaz said:

Hey there,

I currently have only one monitor Benq 24" LED XL2420G NVIDIA G-Sync connected to my ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 through DisplayPort and running on 1080p 144 Hz.

I want to buy a second one but i also want both of them running at 144 Hz. I am not good with tech but did my research and i think it will work, but i'd appreciate if someone with more experience confirms.

My graphic card has 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI 2.0, 1x DVI-I and 1x DVI-D.

My current monitor has 1x DisplayPort, 2x HDMI, 1x DVI

I did research that i can run 144 Hz on DVI-D Dual Link, so technically i could connect my new monitor through DisplayPort and the current one to DVI-D Dual Link and run both on 144 Hz. Am i correct on that?

Also, i am confused with naming of DVI. I apparently need exactly DVI-D Dual Link, not anything else (DVI-I, Single links etc.), will this socket work?

I am slightly confused, because in all specifications my graphic card socket is listed as DVI-D but for my monitor it's listed as DVI without the "-D". Are they the same?

Also, i will most likely be buying a G-Sync monitor again but it works only on DisplayPort. I plan on making my current monitor into a secondary one, and the new one as my primary for gaming.

I won't be playing games on the secondary one, so i don't really mind not having G-Sync on it, but i have read somewhere that G-Sync monitors are built so 144 Hz on them can be activated only through DisplayPort. Is that true? Will i not be able to get 144 Hz on DVI connection on it because it has G-Sync that i won't be utilizing?

Sorry for long post, appreciate all help!

Yes. Manufacturers often leave off the specifics of the DVI port and just call it "DVI". The monitor has a DVI-D port. A standard Dual-Link DVI cable (sometimes called "Dual-Link DVI-D cable") will work fine.

G-Sync will not work over DVI. 144 Hz will.

The XL2420G is not a normal G-Sync monitor. The G-Sync module provided by NVIDIA only has a DisplayPort connection (later editions have 1 DP and 1 HDMI, but this monitor doesn't use that later version; it only has a DisplayPort). The XL2420G is basically 2 monitors in 1, connected to the same panel. It has 1 DisplayPort input which you can use G-Sync over, and all the other inputs on the monitor are completely separate, and will act as a standard non-G-Sync 144 Hz monitor.

6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Yes. Manufacturers often leave off the specifics of the DVI port and just call it "DVI". The monitor has a DVI-D port. A standard Dual-Link DVI cable (sometimes called "Dual-Link DVI-D cable") will work fine.

The XL2420G is not a normal G-Sync monitor. The G-Sync module provided by NVIDIA only has a DisplayPort connection (later editions have 1 DP and 1 HDMI, but this monitor doesn't use that later version; it only has a DisplayPort). The XL2420G is basically 2 monitors in 1, connected to the same panel. It has 1 DisplayPort input which you can use G-Sync over, and all the other inputs on the monitor are completely separate, and will act as a standard non-G-Sync 144 Hz monitor.

But if you put via hdmi 2.0 from gpu to dp from monitor you will achieve gsync compatibility? 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

7 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

But if you put via hdmi 2.0 from gpu to dp from monitor you will achieve gsync compatibility? 

No, G-Sync cannot be transmitted over HDMI. Additionally there are no adapters that will perform that function. The only HDMI 2.0 adapters available are for HDMI 2.0 displays from DisplayPort sources. There are no DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapters available.

19 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Really appreciate your reply, everything makes sense now. I guess nothing stops me then from running the current monitor i have through DVI-D Dual Link cable and new one through DisplayPort to achieve 144 Hz on both and G-Sync on the main one.

Once again thank you very much!