ML140 Queries

Hi All!,

I'm currently thinking of upgrading my intake fans for my setup, which is as follows:

Case: NZXT S340

2 x AF140 - Front Intake

1 x AF120 - Rear Exhaust

I was considering getting ML140s, though they are a bit pricey.

Question is, are ML140s worth upgrading to from AF140s? Would there be a noticeable difference, cooling and acoustics wise?

I honestly do not mind the noise levels at all, except when they will run at full RPM, but sub 30-32 dba I can live with.

I have the LL fans from Corsair, which also uses the MagLev tech for the fan drive, and they are really quiet, as all fans do they do make sound at 100%, but at lover speeds they are better when it comes to noise than my 140mm Noctua fans.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

1 hour ago, AndersT2 said:

I have the LL fans from Corsair, which also uses the MagLev tech for the fan drive, and they are really quiet, as all fans do they do make sound at 100%, but at lover speeds they are better when it comes to noise than my 140mm Noctua fans.

So, you're saying that they are worth replacing the AF140s or no? I know they can push more air than the AF140s but is really a noticeable difference?

4 hours ago, AndersT2 said:

LL's use Hydrodynamic and not Maglev bearings. 

ML's will perform better and are relatively quiet at high rpm. 

What are your specs and temps? If your airflow is already fine, better fans probably won't make much of a difference.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

LL's use Hydrodynamic and not Maglev bearings. 

ML's will perform better and are relatively quiet at high rpm. 

What are your specs and temps? If your airflow is already fine, better fans probably won't make much of a difference.

Relevant Specs:

CPU: 6700k OC'd to 4.7@1.32 running at 75-76c @ 100% Load, cooled by a Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X at Stock running at 71-72c @ 100% Load

Airflow and fan setup has been mentioned above.

21 minutes ago, ImpaleXD said:

Relevant Specs:

CPU: 6700k OC'd to 4.7@1.32 running at 75-76c @ 100% Load, cooled by a Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X at Stock running at 71-72c @ 100% Load

Airflow and fan setup has been mentioned above.

Those temps seem fine. What rpm are you running your current case fans at? You could raise the rpm a bit to simulate any gains you might get with better fans. I don't think it it'd be more than 1-3c at load though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Those temps seem fine. What rpm are you running your current case fans at? You could raise the rpm a bit to simulate any gains you might get with better fans. I don't think it it'd be more than 1-3c at load though.

The front intake fans are running at 1200rpm at DC mode, the exhaust is also running at 100%. Them AF's being 3 pin DC.

The D15 fans, however, are running on PWM without the LN adapter, at turbo mode, around 600rpm when the temps are idling at 28-30c and maxes out at 100% load.

47 minutes ago, ImpaleXD said:

The front intake fans are running at 1200rpm at DC mode, the exhaust is also running at 100%. Them AF's being 3 pin DC.

The D15 fans, however, are running on PWM without the LN adapter, at turbo mode, around 600rpm when the temps are idling at 28-30c and maxes out at 100% load.

You can try lowering speeds to ~900rpm to see if there's any noticeable difference in temps. If not, you probably have plenty of airflow already. 

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You can try lowering speeds to ~900rpm to see if there's any noticeable difference in temps. If not, you probably have plenty of airflow already. 

Will try to reduce the RPM of the intakes. Curious on how should I control the speed of 3pin DC fans. Any advise?

53 minutes ago, ImpaleXD said:

Will try to reduce the RPM of the intakes. Curious on how should I control the speed of 3pin DC fans. Any advise?

What header are the fans plugged into?