Safe to use molex splitter?

drkknghtavngr

My Psu only has 4 molex connectors and i want to split each of them for more fans, Is this safe?

I generally stray from adapters. 

Had one person on here that used an adapter/splitter and it melted.

Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Had one person on here that used an adapter/splitter and it melted.

A few more than one...

They all either melted, caused smoke, had unreliable power delivery, or killed components.

That said, I've got a molex powered fan that doesn't have any issues despite being from the XP era. Why don't you just get a normal fan splitter though?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, andrewmp6 said:

The fans don't had dual sided plugs so you can daisy chain them ?

i saw one but it has led and i cant find reviews for it

2 hours ago, drkknghtavngr said:

My Psu only has 4 molex connectors and i want to split each of them for more fans, Is this safe?

Typically, no.

What PSU is it?  Generally, the wire gauge of the PSU is selected by the manufacturer based on the number of connectors and therefore how much current is expected to be delivered.  If you use splitters, you potentially double that expectation.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:57 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Typically, no.

What PSU is it?  Generally, the wire gauge of the PSU is selected by the manufacturer based on the number of connectors and therefore how much current is expected to be delivered.  If you use splitters, you potentially double that expectation.

Seasonic s12ii 520

It's similar to using a power strip, it is safe as long as the combined current draw (measured in A) of all of the devices isn't greater than the amount of current a single outlet can handle.

Let's say the cables inside a outlet can handle 20A of current going through them, if I get a strip and plug 2 15A heaters (30A) I'd burn the outlet or start a small fire

You can apply the same concept to a PSU, don't overload it and everything will be fine.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

44 minutes ago, drkknghtavngr said:

Seasonic s12ii 520

Well... the good news is fans tend to draw relatively low power, so you should be fine.  Just don't go nuts.  ;)