Dead gpu again?

Go to solution Solved by Rainbow Dash,

When you said it flashes when you adjust the volume, there might be some short going into you audio out. Unplug your speakers first then test if anything happens. Or if this is the windows volume bar you are talking about, then you could have vram failing, gpu is overheating, or the gpu is just getting old and you might need to drop the clocks down on the card, or downclock the vram. When you might have a short the psu could detect it and shutdown to protect itself.

Hi friends.

So I just bought an HD7970 which I'm pretty happy with.

I'm experiencing two problems though. This problem being that sometimes my screen flashes blue/red for a split second but I don't know why.

Also, sometimes the PC reboots randomly. I don't know if this is because of the videocard but it's quite worrying.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: I just noticed the flashing is triggered when I adjust my volume. It happens randomly ( I think) too, but definetely when I play with my volume.

3 minutes ago, Yasin40 said:

-info-

You should first download something like 

HWMonitor

To check if the temps are ok.

PC rebooting is a nono.

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

Be sure you have all of the latest updates and drivers for your pc. Specifically check for GPU driver updates. If you could provide us with more info, like the mobo model number, cpu, OS, and psu, we may be able to help more.

Check the thermals, if they are bad repaste the gpu. I dropped 12 degrees thanks to changing my paste.

When you said it flashes when you adjust the volume, there might be some short going into you audio out. Unplug your speakers first then test if anything happens. Or if this is the windows volume bar you are talking about, then you could have vram failing, gpu is overheating, or the gpu is just getting old and you might need to drop the clocks down on the card, or downclock the vram. When you might have a short the psu could detect it and shutdown to protect itself.

At first sight, this seems like a hardware problem to me. Can you give your system specifications? Especially your PSU and motherboard are of interest here.

Have you tried removing your grpahics card to see if this solves the problem?

Does adjusting your volume with no GPU attached cause it to happen (assuming you have an iGPU)?

Random reboots though, sounds more than likely a PSU if it's abrupt and not the typical Windows reboot.  If you could look in event viewer for an event ID 41 it's a likely sign that the system is losing power abruptly.  A different error may tell you if it's some kind of critical shutdown for other reasons.

These problems may have always been there but amplified by the video card because of increased power consumption.

The volume issue could be an additional side effect of poor power delivery but could also be EMI.  Poor emi shielding may be the motherboard's fault.

1 hour ago, Christophe Corazza said:

At first sight, this seems like a hardware problem to me. Can you give your system specifications? Especially your PSU and motherboard are of interest here.

Have you tried removing your grpahics card to see if this solves the problem?

I have no iGpu so removing it is not an option. I have a Corsair VS650 and an Asus Prime B350 Plus board.

Did you double check simple things like the cable to the monitor (maybe when you adjust your volume it moves a bit) or plugging something else into the monitor to see if the problem persists?

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event: