Which Power Supply?

beefwhistle

Today i turned on my pc and during boot there was a loud gunshot sound along with the smell similar to a cap gun. I assume it was the PSU as the computer restarted and was booting into windows but I turned it off to be safe. The motherboard and graphics card both look fine too. 

Just to be sure this was likely the power supply right?  Any idea what caused the bang and is it safe to keep using or risky?

Under the assumption it will need to be replaced, ive been browsing replacement units. Three that caught my eye that are available in store in my area are the Corsair RM650X, Corsair RM850X(2018rev) and the Evga Supernova 650 G1+.  The corsair rmx line is recommended but evga seems super popular right now and it can be had for $60 less however there seems to be little info on this new model. The corsairs both cost roughly the same as each other with price matching. 

My computer is dated (3770k, 670gtx, ssd/hdd etc) but I plan to build a modern equivalent within the next year. I build around silence in mind. 

Any idea if the Evga is any good and worth the cost savings? 
If I go corsair, is there any benefit or negative to going with the higher wattage/newer revision?  While being a newer it seems overkill. Been a long time since I bought a psu so any help is greatly appreciated.

I enjoy my EVGA however I have no experience with that particular model.  How long had it been since the PC was last turned on?  Dust may have settled on the contacts and shorted the PSU out.

• CPU
    i7 6700k overclocked to 4.7 GHZ @1.38v
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
  • RAM
    32GB Gskill Ripjaws @3200mhz
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG Geforce 980
  • Case
    CoolerMaster HAF X
  • Storage
    500 GB SSD and 12TB mechanical HDD some soon to be split to NAS
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000 G1

11 minutes ago, SaintPosum said:

I enjoy my EVGA however I have no experience with that particular model.  How long had it been since the PC was last turned on?  Dust may have settled on the contacts and shorted the PSU out.

the pc had been sitting for only a few days as I was busy with work. usually it gets used daily.

haven't turned it on since this morning when it made the bang and smell. I could blow some compressed air through and try again but would doing so be safe to the rest of the pc?

I wouldnt trust it as it could easily turn a cheapish fix into a very expensive one.  However I dont like to live dangerously

• CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG Geforce 980
  • Case
    CoolerMaster HAF X
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000 G1

43 minutes ago, beefwhistle said:

Today i turned on my pc and during boot there was a loud gunshot sound along with the smell similar to a cap gun. I assume it was the PSU as the computer restarted and was booting into windows but I turned it off to be safe. The motherboard and graphics card both look fine too. 

Just to be sure this was likely the power supply right?  Any idea what caused the bang and is it safe to keep using or risky?

Under the assumption it will need to be replaced, ive been browsing replacement units. Three that caught my eye that are available in store in my area are the Corsair RM650X, Corsair RM850X(2018rev) and the Evga Supernova 650 G1+.  The corsair rmx line is recommended but evga seems super popular right now and it can be had for $60 less however there seems to be little info on this new model. The corsairs both cost roughly the same as each other with price matching. 

My computer is dated (3770k, 670gtx, ssd/hdd etc) but I plan to build a modern equivalent within the next year. I build around silence in mind. 

Any idea if the Evga is any good and worth the cost savings? 
If I go corsair, is there any benefit or negative to going with the higher wattage/newer revision?  While being a newer it seems overkill. Been a long time since I bought a psu so any help is greatly appreciated.

The EVGA is by far the worst of those.

A 550W RMx would be triple what your system needs. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

6 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The EVGA is by far the worst of those.

A 550W RMx would be triple what your system needs. 

the 550 model isn't available in my area.  I did find the 650 for similar price to the evga online so the price is right but it will take a week to arrive.

26 minutes ago, SaintPosum said:

I wouldnt trust it as it could easily turn a cheapish fix into a very expensive one.  However I dont like to live dangerously

hmm...  any idea what component might have made the sound.  it sounded like a gunshot. not sure if dust shorting it out would cause the sound and smell or not.

I am tempted to pop the cover off and blow any dust out and check for damage. If nothing looks broke I might give it another go... would be nice to have my desktop useable until the replacement psu arrives.

give it a try and maybe a capacitor? 

• CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG Geforce 980
  • Case
    CoolerMaster HAF X
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000 G1

45 minutes ago, SaintPosum said:

give it a try and maybe a capacitor? 

alright opened it up and there is a burn mark but its not a capacitor as far as I can tell.  I attached a picture (not mine) of the part that got cooked and circled it in red.  Anyone know what this part is and does and what maybe set it off?  Would it be safe to use until the new psu arrived? (this is depending on what it is and if maybe it was a dust thing or whatever)

untitled.jpg