Can you use a RADEON GPU and a Nvidia GPU together?

Hello All,

I have a question to ask, i am planning to buy a RX580 4GB GPU because i have a €250 budget for a card. I really want shadowplay for montages etc. Around Christmas time i am gonna get around €1000 so i am planning to buy a GTX 1080Ti and i am wondering if i can used my RX580 aswell but a different slot. Can i do it or not?

What would be the point? They aren't compatible with each other unless you're using DX12 games that support Multi-Adapter.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You can, its not hot swappable and you would need to reinstall drivers each time, and the fact that its pretty stupid. Just wait or get an nvidia cheapo card for the time being and fully replace, nvidia shadowplay is waaay nicer than relive imo.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What would be the point? They aren't compatible with each other unless you're using DX12 games that support Multi-Adapter.

So i should just dump the RX580?

Just now, Staris said:

So i should just dump the RX580?

Yes.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

7 hours ago, Staris said:

Hello All,

I have a question to ask, i am planning to buy a RX580 4GB GPU because i have a €250 budget for a card. I really want shadowplay for montages etc. Around Christmas time i am gonna get around €1000 so i am planning to buy a GTX 1080Ti and i am wondering if i can used my RX580 aswell but a different slot. Can i do it or not?

Instead of negative responces like I always see on this site and this post I'll answer your question without my opinion which none of theirs is required here thanks fellas for your not needed opinions. 

Yes both will work. It will not work like sli or Crossfire will what will happen is, when you get your new card uninstall the rx drivers using your monitor on the igpu slot. Install the card and drivers of the new card. Once it's working you can plug the rx back into the x8 or x4 slot but do not install the amd drivers. It will become the default gpu instead let windows auto detect it and install generic drivers. Now your ti will be driving your best monitor and the rx will turn into a display adapter meaning you can run monitors off it but when playing games obviously plug the monitor into the ti. 

Sorry you had to deal with people like this ppl can't ever just answer a question on here but have to say attackful stuff rather answer the question and so many don't even give correct answers on here. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

2 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

Sorry you had to deal with people like this ppl can't ever just answer a question on here but have to say attackful stuff rather answer the question and so many don't even give correct answers on here. 

There's hardly ever a reason to run two different video cards like that, considering also driver complications.

Quite frankly, if that's your reasoning, having a 580 in your build is pointless for a display adapter. It's a waste of money and you can easily use a lesser card to achieve display adapter functionality, and with less power draw.

23 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

There's hardly ever a reason to run two different video cards like that, considering also driver complications.

Quite frankly, if that's your reasoning, having a 580 in your build is pointless for a display adapter. It's a waste of money and you can easily use a lesser card to achieve display adapter functionality, and with less power draw.

No but all he asked was can he use both not all this extra stuff. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

5 hours ago, O9B0666 said:

Instead of negative responces like I always see on this site and this post I'll answer your question without my opinion which none of theirs is required here thanks fellas for your not needed opinions. 

Yes both will work. It will not work like sli or Crossfire will what will happen is, when you get your new card uninstall the rx drivers using your monitor on the igpu slot. Install the card and drivers of the new card. Once it's working you can plug the rx back into the x8 or x4 slot but do not install the amd drivers. It will become the default gpu instead let windows auto detect it and install generic drivers. Now your ti will be driving your best monitor and the rx will turn into a display adapter meaning you can run monitors off it but when playing games obviously plug the monitor into the ti. 

Thank you very much for your time.