Remote Desktop Display Output

If I remote into my laptop using my server, am I restricted to the display capabilities of that laptop?

For example, I want to use a 4k 60hz monitor with my server (which the internal graphics supports) with my laptop that the hdmi 1.4 port restricts to 4k 30hz. Would my server output 4k at 60hz by doing the remote connection?

Secondly, would this be practical for doing remote video editing? Like if I had a beefed out desktop that I connected to, would it be practical over wifi? Or maybe over a wired connection in a local network?

What the server supports doesn't really matter to the remote desktop client. What the client supports is what's used. So if your server is connected to a 1024x768 display but you connect from a 4K display, the session is run in 4K unless specified otherwise when connecting. 

That said, video acceleration is not available through just RDP, so anything that requires that will look choppy and glitchy at best. I wouldn't recommend doing video editing over that connection. You can solve this by setting up a VM with RemoteFX and connecting to it rather than the server.

Some info:

https://blog.tedd.no/2011/04/28/optimizing-rdp-for-casual-use-windows-7-sp1-remotefx/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-remotefx-vgpu

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

What are you using for remote display?

Normally the resolution isn't limited by the local gpu, but it can be.

Editing depends on the connection, you need a good link for this.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you using for remote display?

Normally the resolution isn't limited by the local gpu, but it can be.

Editing depends on the connection, you need a good link for this.

I'm looking at upgrading my 1080p monitor to a 4k monitor. My laptop hdmi port restricts 4k at 30hz which is why I'm looking at a remote connection until I can fix that problem. 

Define good link. Both of the endpoints are wired using 10/100/1000 nics. Since this is independent of internet service, would this be strong enough?

6 hours ago, Schraufabagel said:

I'm looking at upgrading my 1080p monitor to a 4k monitor. My laptop hdmi port restricts 4k at 30hz which is why I'm looking at a remote connection until I can fix that problem. 

Define good link. Both of the endpoints are wired using 10/100/1000 nics. Since this is independent of internet service, would this be strong enough?

a wired gig link will be fine.

But really look at anouther laptop or just running it at 30hz, remote will also be kinda laggy and things like rdp don't let you play games or run some other directx programs.