Best CPU cooler for a Dell Optiplex 790?

Go to solution Solved by Herman Mcpootis,
1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Dell uses a proprietary fan connector. You can still change the base, but unless you buy an adapter, you're stuck with their fan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pin-Latch-Dedicated-Fan-to-4-Pin-Cable-Adapter-Interface-Connector-For-Dell-/322343482086 looks like there's adaptors for those so no worries there.

Hi everyone!

I just recently purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex and was wondering if it was possible to change the CPU cooler?

I know manufacturers like to use their own non standard designs when it comes to prebuilts, but I was just curious to see if I can change it.

Here is a picture 

optiplex.PNG

Im assuming that cpu is a i5 2400 based on what the spec sheet said. So i found a couple LGA 1155 coolers on newegg. 

Arctic Alpine 11

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186070&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-35-186-070-_-Product

Cooler Master generic looking cooler

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50M2CS3106&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-9SIA50M2CS3106-_-Product

I would go with the Arctic cooler just because it looks a little more beefy and has some good reviews. It doesn't look like theres a ton of room in there so i would go with this. Another thing i would try to get if i was you is try to mount some sort of fan at the front if possible to get some cool air in there.

Custom Rig: FX-8350 4GHz, MSI GTX 1060 6g Gaming X, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB Hyperx Fury 2x8GB 1866MHz, Samsung 240GB 850 EVO SSD, 3TB WD Blue 5400RPM, Evga 850W G2 Psu, Gigabyte AM3+ Micro Atx Motherboard, Corsair Spec 01

Laptop: Asus ROG GL502VM, i7 6700HQ, GTX 1060, 16GB DDR4, 240 Toshiba M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD

3 minutes ago, Truex98 said:

Im assuming that cpu is a i5 2400 based on what the spec sheet said. So i found a couple LGA 1155 coolers on newegg. 

Arctic Alpine 11

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186070&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-35-186-070-_-Product

Cooler Master generic looking cooler

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50M2CS3106&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-9SIA50M2CS3106-_-Product

I would go with the Arctic cooler just because it looks a little more beefy and has some good reviews. It doesn't look like theres a ton of room in there so i would go with this. Another thing i would try to get if i was you is try to mount some sort of fan at the front if possible to get some cool air in there.

It's actually an i7 2600! I bought it for a pretty good deal I think? 

Any kind of aftermarket cooler would be better than the stock cooler right now right?

opti.PNG

Dell uses a proprietary fan connector. You can still change the heatsink, but unless you buy an adapter, you're stuck with their fan. A copper slug heatsink couldn't hurt.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, insertfedroa said:

Any kind of aftermarket cooler would be better than the stock cooler right now right?

if it's not overheating under load then the stock cooler is fine as-is. if not an aidos black is $10.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Dell uses a proprietary fan connector. You can still change the base, but unless you buy an adapter, you're stuck with their fan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pin-Latch-Dedicated-Fan-to-4-Pin-Cable-Adapter-Interface-Connector-For-Dell-/322343482086 looks like there's adaptors for those so no worries there.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

What kind of adapter would I have to get?

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

if it's not overheating under load then the stock cooler is fine as-is. if not an aidos black is $10.

What would the safe temps be? I know it's an older CPU so I'm not sure if thermal limits change

10 minutes ago, insertfedroa said:

opti.PNG

Dang thats a solid price, If it were me personally i would defiantly put a better cooler just to lower temps a little. Even if the cpu isnt running hot ill always say yes to better cooling. The 2600 is the same socket so those coolers i linked will work just the same. Also you'd need one of those adapters @Herman Mcpootis linked. Then just take out the old cooler, put some paste, and install the new one. Oh and dont forget the little protective cover if the cooler has one.

Custom Rig: FX-8350 4GHz, MSI GTX 1060 6g Gaming X, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB Hyperx Fury 2x8GB 1866MHz, Samsung 240GB 850 EVO SSD, 3TB WD Blue 5400RPM, Evga 850W G2 Psu, Gigabyte AM3+ Micro Atx Motherboard, Corsair Spec 01

Laptop: Asus ROG GL502VM, i7 6700HQ, GTX 1060, 16GB DDR4, 240 Toshiba M.2 SSD, 1TB HDD

11 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

What the damn hell?! Those were $5 a pop less than two years ago!

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, Truex98 said:

Dang thats a solid price, If it were me personally i would defiantly put a better cooler just to lower temps a little. Even if the cpu isnt running hot ill always say yes to better cooling. The 2600 is the same socket so those coolers i linked will work just the same. Also you'd need one of those adapters @Herman Mcpootis linked. Then just take out the old cooler, put some paste, and install the new one. Oh and dont forget the little protective cover if the cooler has one.

Ok, I will look into that! Also, if I get the adapter does that mean I can use any 1155 compatible cooler as well? Within height restraints of course

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

What the damn hell?! Those were $5 a pop less than two years ago!

never underestimate the power of chinese cost-cutting :P

4 minutes ago, insertfedroa said:

Ok, I will look into that! Also, if I get the adapter does that mean I can use any 1155 compatible cooler as well? Within height restraints of course

Yup, any 1155 cooler that u can manage to cram in there xD

8 minutes ago, Truex98 said:

Yup, any 1155 cooler that u can manage to cram in there xD

Ah ok, great! Thanks so much for your help!

I was actually looking at these 790s. What kind of graphics cards can it fit? Am I restrained to single fan ITX cards?

That's an F in the profile pic

You can fit in a double fan GPU but it will be a tight fit