Updating BIOS on a normally running system?

I want to update my AsRock X370 after I have already installed everything on it and been running the whole system on win10 for about a month. It's currently still running it's version that it came with because I forgot to flash it after I finished building it.

Now I'm stuck with an outdated BIOS version and can't run my ram at it's 3000MHz because the necessary XMP profile (3.0) is not an available option.

I thought it'd be all safe and sound to simply update but I came across some posts and AsRock's official website that all told me that it was "not recommended to do so, if your system runs normally already".

Anyone who can tell me what the best option would be for me?

In case the specs are needed:
Ryzen 5 1500x

AsRock TaiChi X370

GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 1050TI

Corasir Vengance LPX 2x 8GB DDR4 3000MHz

Corsair 750w PSU

I'm admittedly not one who avidly updates their BIOS, but that seems a bit crazy to me. Something I'd recommend is backing up your hard drive and then go ahead and do the update. See what happens.

I find it very unlikely you would run into anything that would damage hardware by trying that.

It is a toss up. Sometimes you can boot right back into the OS with no problems, and sometimes it requires a reinstall of windows after a BIOS flash. I would recommend doing a fresh install after flashing the BIOS anyway, just to make sure you don't run into any weird issues down the road.

5 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

It is a toss up. Sometimes you can boot right back into the OS with no problems, and sometimes it requires a reinstall of windows after a BIOS flash. I would recommend doing a fresh install after flashing the BIOS anyway, just to make sure you don't run into any weird issues down the road.

That's exactly what I was afraid of, because I do not want to buy yet another win10 key, or would I be able to reuse the one I used for copy I'm running right now?

always run latest bios with ryzen especially for the ram. ive update mine too a few days ago and now I have even oc'ed my ram to 2800 from the stock rated 2400 :D

Let's agree to disagree

2 minutes ago, EightBitLoxs said:

That's exactly what I was afraid of, because I do not want to buy yet another win10 key, or would I be able to reuse the one I used for copy I'm running right now?

I didn't had that problem, my windows is still gucci

Let's agree to disagree

1 minute ago, Kered124 said:

You can definitely reuse the same key you are currently using.

Thanks a lot! I'll be sure to backup my 1 tb of deisgn files and flash my bios after :)