Info on storemi and is it like an ssd

Gavins23
Go to solution Solved by t4ils,
10 minutes ago, Gavins23 said:

And to me it sounds like the same thing as over clocking to get more speed from a cpu or a graphics card.

Not really. Yes, it does make loading times faster, but all it's really doing is moving your most accessed files to an SSD like a cache. Intel's doing something similar with their Optane memory, which Linus Tech Tips (and I believe Techquickie) does have a few videos about. Tech YES City also has a few tests:

I think you'd be better off buying a 120GB-250GB SSD, such as the Samsung 850/860 EVO or Crucial MX500, unless the AMD StoreMI method fits within your budget of buying a 32GB SSD like Intel Optane (and you don't mind the speeds in the aforementioned video).

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Isn't it only going to move files after it recognizes they've been used a few times?

Which is why it's only effective when you repeatedly use the same stuff over and over in which case it is better to just manually put that stuff on the SSD.

If you use a program or file a couple times it's going to move it there and then remove the stuff you actually use often.

It depends on the algorithm how often the stuff is swapped.

Either way it's crap.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No it is not a scam (but you can argue it is over priced, should only be in servers not consumers hands, etc).

Yes it is caching and needs either more RAM (for other solutions, not this one) or an SSD (for AMDs solution) to cache on.

Is it only worth it for specific use cases? Yes.

If you lot wish to argue, so be it, but you both have different facts, just seem to think they are the same thing.

Software solutions (AMD/StorMi?) are slower than hardware solutions (Intel/Optane) most of the time. Optain is proprietary to Optain disks only, but in theory would work with any SSD. Which is why Optain currently performing so poorly, because Intel is artificially limiting it to make back their investment costs (such as Linus complaining it was stuck on one disk volume till recently). Once they put it at a proper price point and open up the features and improve the performance/silicone quality, it will be the middle ground speed/cost to RAM/SSDs. Just as SSDs are the middle ground to RAM/HDDs currently (and we have on chips cache vs ram too!!!).

When SSDs were young, they were not "scams", they only offered zero moving parts, as their speeds were slower than HDDs... those selling old SSDs as "faster" were scamming, but the product functioned as intended (chip memory). Same is happening with Optain and StoreMi... they currently have a task. But the "scam" is the marketing selling what they will do in the future, not what they can do now.

StoreMi will offer Optain like performance depending on the speed of the SSD (in bandwidth and access times, search times and latency). Optain has different features to normal SSDs and normal ram (such as working through power off/cycles and having faster latency). However StoreMi will work with more types of SSD.

Currently some of the systems *will* perform the same as a cheap small SSD and manually moving games/files across. But this requires the user to setup, or the OS to "cache" (as Windows swap disk does). These systems are in addition to Windows swap disk because they are new and proprietary. Once everyone has them, they can be done in OS level as normal, because no more patents/royalty fees for use.

It also depends on costs. A cheaper 1.75tb HDD + a 250gb SSD with manually swapping games will perform similar to a more expensive 1.95Ttb HDD and a 50gb* Optain but will work automatically and cost more/different amounts. So AMD is looking to go for the first option with their product, but it may not have the endurance of say an Optain. But consumers may not need it, only servers etc. The only thing stopping me using my current SSDs for streaming from HDD/caching from HDD is the software is proprietary (not free!) and the software has no hardware support, so much, much slower.

*size for example, not actual existing products

[edit]

PS, this is of cause how a desktop user will experience the product. The "caching" etc is rather technical, and different for each product. It also may have different draw backs and different benefits. Then the server use experience will be totally different again depending on use case.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it is a scam, i would NEVER buy it neither would i trust it it's basically just using a regular (&slow) SSD and using it as a cache LOL! big marketing misleading information bullcrap

Intel® Optane™ Memory in a nutshell :

1. You write data from such SLOW HDD (Hard Drive) to Meh Optane Crap SSD "PCI-E"
  2. Optane™ uses device data to "excellerate"
  3. Repeat step 1 & 2

• SSD's that have comparable storage space are usually cheaper and will have faster write speed and have much greater capacity (120GB vs 16-32GB) 
  • Optane's work as a cache is garbage your SLOW HDD WILL NOT IMPROVE IN FACT.. it will slow down over time because you can NOT defragment Capture.JPG.d07c2813a82ef804c8875d8389172db3.JPG
  • Optane writes data to CPU at 145 MB/s so this can in fact SLOW down real time operation compared to SSD that write 300 MB/S + 

The only real improvement is read speed... on a 16-32GB drive... really?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Scam.JPG

Doesn't seem like accelerate to me intel... lol.JPG.f2e4ab322f170fa7705f1f05eba9b226.JPG