CAS Latency stuck at 16, tightening RAM timings.

Hey guys,

Got a little bored tonight so decided to have yet another tinker around with my RAM timings and see if i could adjust my OC in anyway (dialled it back to 3.7ghz, but now at only 1.18v! :)) and this is what I've managed to get them down to, the stock timings for 3000mhz are 15-17-17-35, so only a slight difference there but has made a couple points difference in Cinebench.

737a530f31df08d32ea03340fd09256e.png

For some reason my CAS latency won't change though, when I have auto timings set it does go to 15(as thats the stock CAS) but as soon as i change it from auto to manual, it won't go below 16.

In the BIOS it's set to 15 for both channel A and B, timing settings are obviously set to manual rather than auto, but it doesn't seem to want to change.

Board is the Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming(rev 1.) running the latest available BIOS from the BIOS/Driver page.

Restarting the PC and going into BIOS shows that it's not an issue with the settings saving, when I re-enter the bios it still shows in there as 15 but then when I get into Windows cpu-z is reporting 16.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea on why that could be?

Also(somewhat related) If i was to try and push for 3200Mhz(had no luck in the past sadly) would I be better using slightly looser timings or keeping them as they are at the moment? And would you recommend upping the voltage slightly, as the current is 1.35, however I'm not sure what the "safe" voltage is for DDR4

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

are you using XMP and changing the timings? a lot of the am4 boards has to 'train' the memory with several starts to 'lock in' the changes.

safe for x370 beefy VRMs 1.475v

safe for b350 vegan VRMs 1.375v or place fan on VRMs and increase voltage.

I would check with a different program just to see if it also says 16.

AIDA64 Extreme Edition has an Overclock menu which will tell you all your timings (you can download a 30 day trial). If it also says 16 then Windows may not be reporting it correctly.

I had an issue similar to this back with DDR3 on Windows 7. Windows reported the timing being different from how I set it. I didn't look too far into it though.

1 minute ago, airdeano said:

are you using XMP and changing the timings? a lot of the am4 boards has to 'train' the memory with several starts to 'lock in' the changes.

safe for x370 beefy VRMs 1.475v

safe for b350 vegan VRMs 1.375v or place fan on VRMs and increase voltage.

I've tried both with and without XMP enabled(the xmp profile on these sticks is something like 2933, so running higher than the xmp anyway at current speeds) and still reads as 16 when set to 15.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

you'll need to copy all the timing stances, remove XMP.. reboot.. prolly a couple of times to unlearn the XMP profile.

once all back to default 2133, then copy all the stances into the DRAM section along with speed and voltage.

15 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Also(somewhat related) If i was to try and push for 3200Mhz(had no luck in the past sadly) would I be better using slightly looser timings or keeping them as they are at the moment? And would you recommend upping the voltage slightly, as the current is 1.35, however I'm not sure what the "safe" voltage is for DDR4

You would definitely have to increase the timings. Usually it's best to increase them by a lot at first, and then once you've found stable clocks you can start trying to reduce the timings. They won't go as low at 3200 as they do at 3000 though.

UEFI F22 or the beta 23D (looks to have incorporated new agesa 2a RAM maps!)