Temperature increased after repaste

Hi everyone,

Today I repasted my gigabyte windforce hd 7950 v2.

Before I saw temps of 73c with a fixed 55% fan under synthetic load. This of course is pretty good. I still have contact with the previous owner and he told me he never repasted it. So I thought it was a fun project. I don't have the best thermal paste (halnziye h510) but the paste that was on there was completely dried out.

After rebooting and running the same synthetic test under the same conditions I was greeted with an unpleasant surprised, the temps increased by 20c! Now it was running at 92c which is insane.

Did I do something wrong, if so what and how can I improve the temperatures.

Jan

2 minutes ago, JanMan said:

What do you recommend?

Something like Artic silver 5 or IC diamond would work fine. I use Arctic silver a lot, and it seems to work well. If you really want to decrease temps you could get thermal grizzly conductonaut, but I would just stick with the first two. Make sure you tighten the screws well, sometimes a bad contact will make temps go crazy.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

When I apply compound to bare dies I like to use this. Non-conductive so you don't have to worry about the capacitors around it.

I've only experienced one downside to this compound but you most likely won't.

5 minutes ago, Opencircuit74 said:

Something like Artic silver 5 or IC diamond would work fine. I use Arctic silver a lot, and it seems to work well. If you really want to decrease temps you could get thermal grizzly conductonaut, but I would just stick with the first two. Make sure you tighten the screws well, sometimes a bad contact will make temps go crazy.

Thanks a lot, the tightening did work a little bit but still higher temps then before, I find it absurd that 6 year old thermal paste is better ?

12 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Arctic Silver 5 can be stored for years without problems which is nice if you only need once in a while. Other budget option where i don't know at the moment how it behaves over time is Arctic MX-4 which serves me fine for my GPU (pre applied on the Arctic Xtrem IV).

I don't think this gpu is gonna live for to much longer, probably 1 year and it's really out, 2012 is a long time ago man

4 hours ago, JanMan said:

Hi everyone,

Today I repasted my gigabyte windforce hd 7950 v2.

Before I saw temps of 73c with a fixed 55% fan under synthetic load. This of course is pretty good. I still have contact with the previous owner and he told me he never repasted it. So I thought it was a fun project. I don't have the best thermal paste (halnziye h510) but the paste that was on there was completely dried out.

After rebooting and running the same synthetic test under the same conditions I was greeted with an unpleasant surprised, the temps increased by 20c! Now it was running at 92c which is insane.

Did I do something wrong, if so what and how can I improve the temperatures.

Jan

I redid my Msi R9 390 with Mx-4 a while back & it took 2 attempts to get right. 

First time it wasn't all screwed down tightly & I only used a pea-sized drop of paste. 

Second time was just after Jay did his GPU paste video. So I tried an X pattern of paste, made sure screws were tight & dropped 15-20°c. It was hitting thermal cap of 94°c before, both with factory paste & my first attempt. 

Now I usually see about 75-80°c while gaming; and sometime up to 90°c if I'm at a menu where vsync isn't being enforced & the frame rate runs away.

for as bad as that paste can be wouldn't it always be better than some old dried one, especially for those insane temps? i bet the problem is something else

41 minutes ago, asus killer said:

for as bad as that paste can be wouldn't it always be better than some old dried one, especially for those insane temps? i bet the problem is something else

I think I didn't tighten right or something, I'm planning to use metal now, that will certainly work to drop some temps?

I also think I didn't use enough maybe