Frames or Refresh?

Out of curiosity, if you have 60 fps but have a 144hz monitor will it be smooth and fast still.

8 minutes ago, AL1V3 said:

Out of curiosity, if you have 60 fps but have a 144hz monitor will it be smooth and fast still.

No. This is a simple google search.

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

I mean when I saw Linus' vid about the pg27uq he was playing fortnite in 60fps but it looked smooth cuz the monitor is 144hz. Also im not usin google cuz people here are smarter, not saying ur dumb tho.

2 minutes ago, AL1V3 said:

I mean when I saw Linus' vid about the pg27uq he was playing fortnite in 60fps but it looked smooth cuz the monitor is 144hz. Also im not usin google cuz people here are smarter, not saying ur dumb tho.

No, it looked smooth because the video was 30FPS.

1 minute ago, AL1V3 said:

That's just your brain playing tricks on you, probably by power of suggestion. Youtube and Floatplane don't even play videos above 60 FPS as far as I'm aware. There could be other reasons why it looked smooth to you at the time as well, like motion blur.

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

34 minutes ago, AL1V3 said:

60fps is 60fps, its gonna be smoother than anything below and not as smooth as anything above 60

the brain is quite easy to trick 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

I played Life Is Strange: Before The Storm at 60FPS the whole game, and it was smooth(monitor is running at 144Hz). It obviously won't be as good as 144FPS, but it wasn't any different to me than playing on a 60Hz monitor. It very well could be, but not something I could perceive. 

@WereCat

@panther420

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hz are cycles per second.  FPS is frames per second.  So a 144Hz monitor may be doing one of two things.  Running 60Hz to match a signal of 60FPS exactly, or running something else and adding frames or dropping them to get as close to 60FPS as possible.  An example is when a 120Hz monitor shows two frames for every one frame in the signal.  To get smooth video you need to have even math with these two numbers.  Its when your monitor end up with fractions that you get blurred or other video issues.  144Hz/60FPS means that the monitor has to duplicate frames inconsistently and your eye will/can notice this. (Note: FreeSync, and nVidia's frame rate sync avoid this issue on higher refresh rate monitors by slowing down the monitor to match whatever the FPS of the signal is.)

So in the end, you just need consistency with Hz and FPS.  Two rules to follow when you dont have technologies like FreeSync, etc.  1) Its better to have higher Hz than FPS.  2) You want Hz/FPS to be a whole number.

Hope that helps.  Also Rtings.com (I am not affiliated) has some amazing videos and info written on everything you could want to know on the above and them some.  I learned most of what I know from there.