Help with a Frankenstein Monster!

Hey y'all,

Its my first time creating a topic, but this is one I've been thinking about for awhile now. I'm active duty military and I want to be able to bring a Gaming Laptop ASUS ROG STRIX GL702 (GTX 1060) laptop that I own. Would it be better to give this laptop to my wife, buy an older and smaller gaming laptop and then change the hardware over then? Whatever I choose to do there is a major worry about sand, drops, and the consent heat and abuse that will come in such a rough environment. I was wondering if anyone has done a transplant for a lack of a better word of a gaming laptops hardware (minus the screen I know that would be WAY to much to ask for) from a more mid-tier gaming laptop into the case of an older Tough-book? If I use a bigger Tough-Book case then I might also be able to add in some extra storage, but that would just be icing on this already hard to make cake.

I want to do it on the cheap... but I also understand that this will require alot of 3d printed parts, of modification of the rugged case itself. I was hoping to keep this project under $300. I will include pictures of some of the cases that might be used in this build!

I've looked online and have come up with NOTHING on anyone even attempting something like this. If you have any help, opinions, or links to something like this it would be greatly appreciated! If any group can help with a crazy project like this it would be the people in this community! Any help would rock, hey maybe even Linus might make a video out of this crazy idea! (Doubt it, but I'd send in my laptop to be the test dummy!)

00W0W_9pd2nCXlOiU_600x450.jpg

01212_5gp9mLOAPXG_600x450.jpg

00k0k_5aBapBrgXN9_600x450.jpg

00303_lqQGa8EgJ6I_600x450.jpg

00i0i_aubEpFiLxjO_600x450.jpg

00v0v_2GVILYlAvU4_600x450.jpg

00j0j_5qg7aB7q7X0_600x450.jpg

00b0b_ccLEjldKqGL_600x450.jpg

DSC02857.JPG

DSC02862.JPG

You can't really transplant anything from laptops (excluding HDDs/SSDs, CD drives, and sometimes CPUs) because most of it is proprietary or soldered to the mainboard...

Well... you could; however, you'd have to be willing to spend lots of time (and I'd guess money) on it - more or less making the rough-book over again from scratch.

Honestly, I'd have to recommend that you try to toughen up the case of the laptop (by adding a stronger frame and more insulation), add silicon dust plugs to all unused ports, undervolting the CPU/GPU and other similar procedures.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

The main reason why it would be hard to build a gaming laptop case or build a gaming laptop into a case like that is because gaming laptops produce a lot of heat and anywhere where you have a fan like that is a place for dust or water to get back into the laptop. So finding a way to expel the head and maintain water and dust resistance is really hard/expensive. That is why most "toughbooks" or rugged machines come with low power hardware not just for battery life but because getting rid of 15w of heat is a lot easier than 100+. All of that being said it would be really cool to see if you decide to go for it. Or if your looking for the easier way out Alienware laptops seem to be built the toughest out of the gaming world (at least in my experience) or the old gaming laptops from Toshiba but they are really old now and struggling with modern games in low settings. Just my opinion though.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event: