witch runs cooler and quieter : asus strix 1080ti or evga FTW3 ?

i really cant find out witch one runs better when it comes to thermals and noise .. especially when i watched gamer's nexus review of both 
the asus runs cooler by 11c when at the 40dba test .. and 1c at the normal testing .. what is the 40dba test ? and witch one should i go for ?
if some one want to check out the review i'm talking about here it is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtEZWFXWqCc at min 9:30 

away from customer services witch one runs cooler and quieter ? and what is the 40dba test ? 
thanks in advance =D

Can say from experience the FTW3 is loud as hell when OCd

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

The STRIX card will run cooler and quieter than the FTW3 cooler

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

The STRIX card will run cooler and quieter than the FTW3 cooler

does it have any major issues that gets be to avoid it ? .. i heard that the strix has coil whine or is it fixed by now ? 
as all posts i saw about the coil whine is 7 month or above old 

8 minutes ago, plasticpeeler said:

does it have any major issues that gets be to avoid it ? .. i heard that the strix has coil whine or is it fixed by now ? 
as all posts i saw about the coil whine is 7 month or above old 

Coil whine can happen to any card, that's just bad luck if you get one that does it.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

21 minutes ago, plasticpeeler said:

and what is the 40dba test ?

That is noise normalized test. It is to see how the good the card cools at a fixed noise level.

What they do is set the fans on the card to certain percentage/RPM until it is at 40 DBa and than compare to other results.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

37 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

That is noise normalized test. It is to see how the good the card cools at a fixed noise level.

What they do is set the fans on the card to certain percentage/RPM until it is at 40 DBa and than compare to other results.

so that means that the strix is quieter ? or cooler ? 
because if its cooler with lower noise it means lower fan speed 
witch if i get the fan speed high enough it will out cool the ftw3 by the same amount  
lets say at a fixed 70dba the strix will be cooler by the same amount ? 
or the higher it goes the more the gap shrinks ?

33 minutes ago, plasticpeeler said:

so that means that the strix is quieter ? or cooler ? 
because if its cooler with lower noise it means lower fan speed 
witch if i get the fan speed high enough it will out cool the ftw3 by the same amount  
lets say at a fixed 70dba the strix will be cooler by the same amount ? 
or the higher it goes the more the gap shrinks ?

Honestly, I do think you have the wrong idea about the 40 dBa test. Setting the fans speed so that it is at 40 dBa does not mean the fans runs slower/ faster than the other card. The amount of noise generated also depends on other factors, such as design of the card, amount of sound dampening, airflow direction etc. Honestly, it's a very flawed test that could be contaminated by various factors.

Also, you're right about having the fan run at higher speeds cooling the card better. However, in a normal use case, unless you are using the card 24/7 such as in bitcoin mining, I doubt the fans or your card would be running at full speed/load all the time. Not that you would want that as well. And you definitely do not want your card running at 70 dBa. To quote, that's the sound level of "Passenger car at 65 mph at 25 ft (77 dB); freeway at 50 ft from pavement edge 10 a.m. (76 dB). Living room music (76 dB); radio or TV-audio, vacuum cleaner (70 dB)." 

In my personal opinion, I would say to buy which ever card has your fancy. Most cards these days have a good fan curve so that the fan can work when you're putting the card through a load and in other times, the fan would just spin at lower speeds. Speeds at which you can barely hear the card.

Strix is cooler / quieter, but it's a 2.5 slot card so it had better be. The EVGA 1080 Ti is pretty good for being only two slots (Which I really like, I need my PCIe slots)

11 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Strix is cooler / quieter, but it's a 2.5 slot card so it had better be. The EVGA 1080 Ti is pretty good for being only two slots (Which I really like, I need my PCIe slots)

but is the better cooling worth the extra .5 slot and sacrificing the super duper evga support ?

4 minutes ago, plasticpeeler said:

but is the better cooling worth the extra .5 slot and sacrificing the super duper evga support ?

You're going to be talking literally a few degrees when under full load, or if you temp matched a few decibals that you won't even notice.

Just get whichever is cheaper or you think looks nicer lol.

Or if you really are that worried about temps and loudness, stick a loop or an AIO with mounting plate onto it.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

3 minutes ago, plasticpeeler said:

In my opinion, no. But I got my EVGA SC Black used for a good price and it lives in my server so noise isn't an issue. 

But yeah, just get whatever you prefer. I kind of lean EVGA myself now due to support, but the other vendors have great cards as well. 

EVGA iCX.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Depends on your ambient room temp. I was running 43 degrees celsius under load, 24-25 degrees celsius on idle with the EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 (6696 Variant). It really comes down to what you're doing with the card.

I haven't touched an Asus card since the 770, but I've had issues with my 1080 from Asus constantly crashing so that turned me off to them.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

I own the strix and its definitely not bad on acoustics or temps at all. But when I bought the card it was before the mining craze and If they were the same price I would have bought the FTW 3 simply because its cooling is the same if not better and is a true dual slot instead of this 2.5 slot that seems to be catching on.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event: