Problem with two VM's

Jayliss

I am trying to do a homework assignment. I dont know how to make these two Virtual machines compatible and make them work. It is something to do with the default gateway and the ipv4 settings. Can so meone tell me how to fix it?

123.PNG

1234.PNG

It looks like in test1 you need to setup the network settings on the local machine.  Can you expand on "compatible".  Do you mean something along the lines of being able to ping each other?  

If you never need to pull a server out of racks, you are probably doing something right.

I was told that both problems interrelate so but im not sure TBH

I am assuming that what the meant as they are on the same switch @iris7

Manually set the subnet to a /24 network and on test1 give it some arbitrary ip address within the subnet(like 192.168.0.111).  Currently test1 just has a self assigned ip address.

If you never need to pull a server out of racks, you are probably doing something right.

You need a dhcp server on that segment.  It's easier if you set the VM to bridge into the same network as the host.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

You don't actually need a DHCP server. He just needs the vms to be able to communicate with each other.  Setting the IP addresses manually would be fine in this use case.  Creating a DHCP server on the segment would make things more complicated than they need to be.

If these are two separate VMs the only problem I see with simply setting up, oh let's say:

test1: 192.168.0.2/24

test2: 192.168.0.3/24

to get them talking to one another is that I believe each VM is incapable of talking to one another if the network is being emulated (Unless perhaps they share the same virtual NIC). Setting up bridged mode would allow them to communicate over the physical network. As an added bonus DHCP would take over and you wouldn't have to assign static addresses.

13 hours ago, iris7 said:

You don't actually need a DHCP server. He just needs the vms to be able to communicate with each other.  Setting the IP addresses manually would be fine in this use case.  Creating a DHCP server on the segment would make things more complicated than they need to be.

True, although if he's asking he may not be familiar with setting statics.  Ticking the bridge mode on the vNIC up to the hypervisor's uplink would be the easiest resolution.  Your approach works unless he needs any sort of external connectivity, depending on the interface configuration for the VMs/host may or may not work.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

2 hours ago, beersykins said:

True, although if he's asking he may not be familiar with setting statics.  Ticking the bridge mode on the vNIC up to the hypervisor's uplink would be the easiest resolution.  Your approach works unless he needs any sort of external connectivity, depending on the interface configuration for the VMs/host may or may not work.

That should work assuming the network has DHCP.  I would believe that setting statics on windows should be relatively simple.  If DHCP works, all he would need to make sure is that the windows machine is set to retrieve network information automatically.