I receive discord messages but can't access Websites, or games?

Noobular

I'm on Gigabit connection, from the Provider Wide Open West, using a nighthawk R7000 router, Currently using the provider DNS but this problem was occurring on 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8.

For some reason I will have connection, but I can't go to any websites (they default to the check your internet splash screen), I can't get access into any games, but for some reason discord will still allow incoming and outgoing messages, and this all is happening for apparently no reason at any given time and i'm curious if anyone has any solutions or might be able to help in some fashion.

If you need more information please let me know, I really need this solved and I can't tell if this is the provider or not.

Are you able to access a website by only inputting the ip address?  If this is true, it is likely a dns issue.  What happens if you use 8.8.4.4 instead of 8.8.8.8?

If you never need to pull a server out of racks, you are probably doing something right.

The first thing I would do is open a ticket with your service provider. Have them take a look at the circuit and test it, as there could be some routing issues on their end. Another thing you can try is use your phone as a hotspot, and see if the issue continues. If so, then the issue is with your computer. Another test is to connect your phone - or better yet, another computer - to your home network and see if it has the same trouble. If so, then it could be either your ISP or your router/gateway. Determining where the problem is will determine the next steps.

13 minutes ago, sinfulfartzilla said:

Are you able to access a website by only inputting the ip address?  If this is true, it is likely a dns issue.  What happens if you use 8.8.4.4 instead of 8.8.8.8?

I haven't tried, but its happened on multiple DNS server's, its not solving the issue.

5 minutes ago, Tea_EarlGrey_Hot said:

The first thing I would do is open a ticket with your service provider. Have them take a look at the circuit and test it, as there could be some routing issues on their end. Another thing you can try is use your phone as a hotspot, and see if the issue continues. If so, then the issue is with your computer. Another test is to connect your phone - or better yet, another computer - to your home network and see if it has the same trouble. If so, then it could be either your ISP or your router/gateway. Determining where the problem is will determine the next steps.

The issue is specifically with the wired connection / wifi, this has been happening on 3 machines and a SmartTV , 

12 minutes ago, Noobular said:

The issue is specifically with the wired connection / wifi, this has been happening on 3 machines and a SmartTV , 

This leads me to believe that it is from the router down towards your ISP. Is the router your gateway as well?

Since it is happening on three different machines, it seem unlikely to machine specific.  Can you try to ping 1.1.1.1.  You can do this by running the "ping 1.1.1.1" or "ping 8.8.4.4" from command prompt or terminal(if you use linux or OS X).  Doing this should help us determine if your DNS settings are causing the issues. 

Also, what happens if you use your ISP's default DNS servers?  Does the issue go away?

If you never need to pull a server out of racks, you are probably doing something right.

8 minutes ago, sinfulfartzilla said:

Since it is happening on three different machines, it seem unlikely to machine specific.  Can you try to ping 1.1.1.1.  You can do this by running the "ping 1.1.1.1" or "ping 8.8.4.4" from command prompt or terminal(if you use linux or OS X).  Doing this should help us determine if your DNS settings are causing the issues. 

Also, what happens if you use your ISP's default DNS servers?  Does the issue go away?

I said in the original post, I'm on the providers DNS , and i've tried both 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 but eventually the problem occurs again, its a random like 10 minute "outage" and then it will work for another 5 minutes or something and then go out again, and its just a repeating process. DNS servers haven't affected that positively or negatively

Did you ISP provide some sort of modem to connect to the internet?

1 minute ago, sinfulfartzilla said:

Did you ISP provide some sort of modem to connect to the internet?

Yes, the modem is connected to our router

1 minute ago, Noobular said:

Yes, the modem is connected to our router

So it resembles something like this...
WOW modem -> R7000 router -> devices(Smart TV, computers)

if you were to connect a device to the WOW modem is your service restored?