Fallout

NowhereMan

I'm less than 16 and my mom won't let me purchase Fallout 76 and I do not know what to say to her, she claims that it is a shoot em' up game and that it will turn me into a serial killer. I know that You guys are like tech guru's, so if you guys could help me convince her that it isn't a bad game I would be very happy.

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

1 hour ago, Flinchous said:

ask her to explain her claims kek

What is "kek"

1 hour ago, NowhereMan said:

You guys are like tech guru's

See, that's one of the main problems coming here for help. We know tech, not humans xD

Jokes aside, try explaining that it's not a "shoot em up game". Also, the article linked by @I-r0k would probably help too. The Fallout series is definitely not a "shoot em up" franchise.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

If the ESRB rating is similar to Fallout 4, then it's going to be hard to convince her to buy it, especially since it says "17+".

For reference:

Fallout 4 - Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language, Use of Drugs

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.aspx?from=home&titleOrPublisher=fallout 4

Shhhhhh.....

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

That's OK, ask her to get you Fallout 3 instead.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Ask her for forza so you can be a professional driver.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Jeez I'm lucky, I remember my mom buying Half-Life 2 for herself after the clerk didn't want to sell it to me.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Just let it be.

Don't go looking for ways to circumvent her decision, whilst her reasoning might be silly, at the end of the day she is your mum & she is just trying to look out for you. Also trying to find ways to convince her none are going to work. She already has her mind made up I would dare say.

Plus if it's rated 15+ or 18+ then those ratings are in place for a specific reason. I used to work in video games retail & the amount of parents buying MA15+ & R18+ games for their kids was obscene, and these kids were either just under the age rating, or much much younger like under 10, what 8 or 9 year old, and they apparently needed GTA or the latest Call of Duty etc.. It was beyond me.

But if you're so convinced you need to play the game, than trying to convince your mum that it's not what she thinks it is, maybe try & prove to her you're mature enough to play such a game & she may let you purchase it. A few ways would be to be more responsible at home, take on a few extra chores or something, like cook dinner once a week (doesn't have to be anything difficult just something easy & tasty), do the laundry, wash the dirty dishes (because washing the clean dishes would be a waste of time), vacuum the house, walk the dog (only applicable if you have a dog), or get into a routine with your school work to prove your maturity with out it being forced upon you, maybe even go & find some cash in hand work in your neighbourhood & save up the $$ for the game then ask her again saying you have the money for it, would she now let you play it if you bought it with your own money.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

If she truly believes that playing games somehow makes you turn violent, then I'm sorry. Video games have only ever helped me get my anger and homicidal thoughts out.

2 hours ago, EPENEX said:

If she truly believes that playing games somehow makes you turn violent, then I'm sorry. Video games have only ever helped me get my anger and homicidal thoughts out.

It does increase aggression, as shown by many studies, but the link with actual violence is strenuous at best.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti