Possible to keep games on hdd without reinstalling?

mkessler9

Ok. So I'm upgrading to a ssd soon. I have a ton of games on my 2tb drive. When I install my ssd I want to be able to keep all of my games on the hard drive without reinstalling them. How would I go about doing this?

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

Keep them on the Hdd?

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

saddly not, A sector clone would do this but you would need a 2TB+ SSD to do this :(

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

mmm if you have a copy of your windows installation on a disc or usb drive then you could use that to install the windows only on the ssd.

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

Ok. So I'm upgrading to a ssd soon. I have a ton of games on my 2tb drive. When I install my ssd I want to be able to keep all of my games on the hard drive without reinstalling them. How would I go about doing this?

If they're on your HDD you're fine. 

Are you using Steam for your games?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

saddly not, A sector clone would do this but you would need a 2TB+ SSD to do this :(

but can you not back up the windows install partition from the HDD to the SDD and then you would have windows in SSD and games in HDD??

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

Just leave your games on your HDD and do a clean install of Windows on your SSD. When you are done with that set up your BIOS to boot from your SSD so that your clean install will be utilized and your games will be played off of your HDD.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Are the games on Steam? if yes, don't worry. Install Windows onto the SSD and delete everything from the HDD except of your game library (SteamApps folder). Then install Steam on the HDD, copy the SteamApps folder into the new Steam folder on the HDD and restart Steam. It should now show the games as "installed" although  Windows doesn't know that they are installed. If you are OK with that then you are finished. If you are not OK with that then I don't know how else I can help you. If don't have your games on Steam then I just wasted your and my time and I am very sorry for that. But maybe someone else has a better idea....

Are the games on Steam? if yes, don't worry. Install Windows onto the SSD and delete everything from the HDD except of your game library (SteamApps folder). Then install Steam on the HDD, copy the SteamApps folder into the new Steam folder on the HDD and restart Steam. It should now show the games as "installed" although  Windows doesn't know that they are installed. If you are OK with that then you are finished. If you are not OK with that then I don't know how else I can help you. If don't have your games on Steam then I just wasted your and my time and I am very sorry for that. But maybe someone else has a better idea....

Only like 40% of my games are steam games unfortunately 

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor