Help with my upcoming job

Valley_

So I recently had a phonecall from a possible employer and at one point in the call he asked if I knew much about networking and I just told him I have studied it a bit in college..

Next he was asking if I "you know how to do computers talking to each other any everything?" and just because I wanted the job I said "Yeah yeah, like a shared network"...

Don't even know if a thing such as a shared network exists. Either way, if anyone knows what he may have been talking about and send me some links to quickly educate myself about WTF he was on about, that would be great.

Sounded a lot like he doesn't really know what he is on about either.

Thanks in advance

Computers talking to eachother can mean many, many different things lol. Simply pinging another PC on the same network can be seen as talking to each other.

What was the actual job title/role that you applied for?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Haven't been given any of that information yet haha It's a new place around where I live just opening. It's a Virtual Reality Arcade.

I just sent my CV to someone who passed it on to this employer and he called me today

I assume I will get this information on Monday when I get my interview

I would think he means file sharing.

Setting up file shares from a server is fairly simple.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

2 minutes ago, Jrock said:

I would think he means file sharing.

Setting up file shares from a server is fairly simple.

Yeah after some quick Googling I came to the same conclusion. Watching a video on it now just in case it is this. Thanks 

probably means sharing files across a network, that can be done in a few ways but none that im personally educated enough to teach you about

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

probably means sharing files across a network, that can be done in a few ways but none that im personally educated enough to teach you about

Ok thanks anyway dude!

1 minute ago, Valley_ said:

Yeah after some quick Googling I came to the same conclusion. Watching a video on it now just in case it is this. Thanks 

5 minutes ago, Valley_ said:

It's a Virtual Reality Arcade.

Maybe hes got a NAS device with all of the games on it, where the games get pulled from it in realtime and cached on the local machine.

Would make sense rather than downloading the games onto many different machines.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

10 minutes ago, Valley_ said:

and I just told him I have studied it a bit in college..

So you know nothing about it other than that it's a field that exists. :P

2 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

So you know nothing about it other than that it's a field that exists. :P

Yes I carefully worded it that way xD

Edit: I didnt want to straight up say no because that would have decreased my chances of a job 

Just now, Valley_ said:

Ok thanks anyway dude!

oh and as for the shared network thing, that would just mean that the computers are on the same network but that would be the basis for local file transfers so its not like you said anything stupid at least :) good luck

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Jrock said:

Maybe hes got a NAS device with all of the games on it, where the games get pulled from it in realtime and cached on the local machine.

Would make sense rather than downloading the games onto many different machines.

Definitely sounds plausible. Will look into it, Thanks :D