emulating higher res. display

morizzzon

I have a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor and am thinking about upgrading to a 3440x1440 resulution.

I know that my 1060 6gb won't be enough to power the higher resolution at 60fps in most games but I was wondering if there is a way to emulate the resolution and see what kind of performance loss I would be getting into.

Thanks in advance!

Since you have an Nvidia card, you can use Nvidia DSR (I believe it requires GeForce Experience, haven't used it in a while) to set a game's resolution higher than your native resolution.

few people know that a 1060 can game at 2-4k just fine if you turn off stupid visual settings like the AA. I have no idea why people who run high res displays also have the AA on. like throwing money down the drain.

45 minutes ago, t4ils said:

Since you have an Nvidia card, you can use Nvidia DSR (I believe it requires GeForce Experience, haven't used it in a while) to set a game's resolution higher than your native resolution.

How's that possible?

1 minute ago, t4ils said:

Couldn't remember off the top of my head, but Nvidia has a guide here: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3587/~/how-to-enable-dynamic-super-resolution-in-games.

Okay, didn't read, but... How can you have a higher res game but a lower res display displaying a higher res game? It doesn't make sense.

4 minutes ago, aandril said:

Okay, didn't read, but... How can you have a higher res game but a lower res display displaying a higher res game? It doesn't make sense.

Basically, the game is being rendered at the higher resolution you specify and then downscaled to your monitor's native resolution, resulting in better image quality. The performance will be the same as if you were playing in the higher resolution.

EDIT: Didn't realize you weren't OP :P

I just tried it and it works great!

Thanks!

1 minute ago, t4ils said:

Basically, the game is being rendered at the higher resolution you specify (in your case, 3440 x 1440) and then downscaled to your monitor's native resolution (2560 x 1080), resulting in better image quality. The performance will be the same as if you were playing in the higher resolution.

But then the resolution would be the same 2560x1080... you can't fit extra pixels in place of one pixel.

1 minute ago, aandril said:

But then the resolution would be the same 2560x1080... you can't fit extra pixels in place of one pixel.

True, the pixel count would still be the same. I should've said "supersampling" instead of "downscaled". Supersampling removes jagged edges (similarly to anti aliasing) by taking a set of pixels from the higher-res image and averaging them to one color. You COULD just enable anti-aliasing to get the improved image quality, but OP wanted a way to emulate as if he/she was playing on an actual higher resolution monitor.

Techquickie has a pretty informative video on this: