Laptop not playing nicely with external monitor

Froody129

I have:

• Asus MG278Q
  • Dell Inspiron 7567

I'm trying to use my laptop like I would a desktop - just using the internal hardware to power my main monitor. When I have these displays in 'extended' mode I will get a perfectly working picture on both screens. However when I set the display mode to display only on second screen I am encountering an issue where I will no longer get display output on the external monitor. This also happens when I set it to 'Duplicate' - I get a picture on the laptop screen but the external monitor does not receive input. Closing the lid also cuts off the external display even though I have set the laptop to do nothing when the lid is closed. The monitor is connected through an HDMI cable and is at 100hz (It does have the bandwidth to do this)

So I am unable to use my external monitor alone in any way unless I have the displays set to 'extended' and I need help on being able to use other modes.

Appreciate any input

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Plug in monitor and press down "Windows Key"+"P" at the same time to bring up display options. 

Select "second screen only"

As explained in the OP the problem I'm having is that doing this results in the external monitor not receiving input.

2 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Lower the refresh rate to 60hz to test perhaps? Is HDMI the only video out your laptop has?

Still not working. I only have HDMI unfortunately but it is HDMI 2.0 and should have a max output resolution of 4k60. So I'm not running into bandwidth problems.

The problem is that I can only get display when I have the displays in 'extended' mode. Anything else leads to loss of output to the external monitor