Will FM2 have 6/8 Core CPU's in the future?

HK_Rage

I know that you guys aren't fortune tellers but is there any rumors/news on it?

Probably if AMD is just going to focus on APUs then sure why not !

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

I think that might be later on during the FM3 / FM3+ platform. Given that we are kind of straining the original FM2 socket as it is....

Ya. I just checked my crystal ball.

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

I can see 6-core APUs out by the end of 2014. I really doubt they'd push for 8-core FM2 for a while unless they have some crazy stuff in the works already.

Maybe I'm wrong because of what they've done with AM3+, but I think it'll all be good. Strong APUs and end-game FX CPUs + great GPUs is all I want from them, which seems to be what they're trying to do.

The question is whether or not they're done with CPUs after FX.

AMD needs 6-8 core APUs, thats where Mantle can gain most of CPU performance. But they need some time to get there, with new APU platform and new features AMD needs to make sure everything works and improves performance. As they will not lose their ground in low end systems, but in few years they will gain middle end users and in 3-4 years we might see some high end APU.

And they have Opetrons. They have 16 cores and they will need an update at some time.

Why would they bother? A 8350/I7 is already overkill at 2ghz on their oxide demo. 

That and the I7 would probably beat their 6 core/12 thread while using 1/3rd the power. :)

Intel has true 6 cores and up locked out because of power usage. Those are mainly for rendering/professional work and power usage actually comes into play there. AMD would need multiple die shrinks and it probably isn't worth the money investing in it. AMD has a nice thing going atm with consoles and enough CPU power for the next gen games on a budget price where people don't care about power usage is their niche. 

Mantle, cheap 8 threads and video cards is their bread and butter atm. With Nvidia coming out with 8xx, video cards is probably their main goal atm. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.