Can you divide the load over two connections in Windows 10?

Verrierr

Hello everyone,

For the past couple of weeks on and off I've been forced to use a very unsteady internet connection. Still I do like my net games so I've been using a connection tethered from my phone (sad I know) which is somehow way more reliable even if average latency is a bit higher (up to 10ms). The problem is I have a data limit on my mobile device so I can't just use it for the more bulky stuff since it will run out immediately. My solution so far has been to switch between the two whenever I need to, but it's getting kind of tedious. Recently I've been thinking about setting it up so I can just keep my laptop connected both ways at all times. I'm pretty sure that all I need to do is add a couple persistent routes to my routing table and use metrics to force system to use the one I want for every task. Sadly I'm no expert on the subject and I'm kind of stuck wondering how to figure out net destinations of my game's packets, so I'm loooking for someone with more knowledge on the subject than myself.

Hm... I've never done this myself, but theoretically, using Windows firewall rules for various apps, you could force certain programs to only use one or the other connection

also I think you mean "load", not "loud" :P

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

also I think you mean "load", not "loud" :P

Yeah that's a typo, thanks. I'll investigate about your tip on the firewall.

31 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Not sure if you bothered to read anything beyond the topic's title. This does not solve anything for me as far as I can tell.

Edit: After considering the subject so more I concluded this could be my fault so I figured I should clarify. The unmetered connection is "unsteady" but it's not dropping completely. The latency just spikes rly hard all the time (more than once per minute) so I can't use it to play.

22 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Not sure if you bothered to read anything beyond the topic's title. This does not solve anything for me as far as I can tell.

Edit: After considering the subject so more I concluded this could be my fault so I figured I should clarify. The unmetered connection is "unsteady" but it's not dropping completely. The latency just spikes rly hard all the time (more than once per minute) so I can't use it to play.

Yea this can comensate for that. It will swith to the other connection when latency spikes. These boxes are made for uses like this.

Thing is there is no easy solution here due to how networking works and how the servers won't just change your ip when latency spikes.

Can you change QOS on your router?

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea this can comensate for that. It will swith to the other connection when latency spikes. These boxes are made for uses like this.

Thing is there is no easy solution here due to how networking works and how the servers won't just change your ip when latency spikes.

Can you change QOS on your router?

No access to the router. But I don't think it'd help anyway since I'm pretty sure the point of failure is between the router and the ISP since it's over the radio. Confirmed this by tracing.

1 minute ago, Verrierr said:

No access to the router. But I don't think it'd help anyway since I'm pretty sure the point of failure is between the router and the ISP since it's over the radio. Confirmed this by tracing.

then a bonding system like this is really your only solution here. But there not cheap, and probably cheaper to just get a celluar plan for your computer.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

then a bonding system like this is really your only solution here. But there not cheap, and probably cheaper to just get a celluar plan for your computer.

What about the solution I've mentioned in my intial post with the routing table? Pretty sure it could work. I've actually experimented with a similar setup before though it didn't end up working as intended (I did get some knowledge on the way though).

Just now, Verrierr said:

What about the solution I've mentioned in my intial post with the routing table? Pretty sure it could work. I've actually experimented with a similar setup before though it didn't end up working as intended (I did get some knowledge on the way though).

Yea that will make it some connections go to one intstead of the other, but really won't solve your problems.

Id just get a better cellular connection for the PC.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea that will make it some connections go to one intstead of the other, but really won't solve your problems.

Id just get a better cellular connection for the PC.

Not sure what you mean by it not solving my problems. Obviosuly that would be less convenient than that speedfusion thingy but more affordable too. I'm expecting this situation to last for three months tops (on and off) so I can handle a couple of inconveniences.

To be completely honest I've started looking for a solution to my dilemma fully expecting for it to turn out to be more time consuming than it's worth. Still I'm only gonna agree to a DIY solution not for the lack of funds but because I love dabbling with this stuff.

If you 100% know the destination IP address for what you want to pull from, then the Windows routing table tweaks will work for you.

If you don't know each address and have a large number of different destinations, it will be more of a pain in the rear to juggle that than just swapping the connections.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C