Have HD650 and Mayflower Amp/DAC - I want more bass, recommend me?

sidA30

I have an HD650, SE215, Bose SoundTrue (junk (got it free)), HyperX Cloud and a Mayflower Amp/DAC.

In short, I want a headphone with more bass which is somewhat Audiophile for electronic and rap music for a couple hundred bucks. I was leaning to the M50x but its getting on now, and seems more suited for phones (low impedance), is there anything with lots of bass. I love the HD650 but it does lack oomph. Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe give something like HE-4xx a try? I haven't heard it myself but I know people are big fans of planar bass and those are seem to be very well regarded headphones for the price. 

Phillips Fidelio X2

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

Audeze LCD 2 or X. 

Here is a FR graph of my X's. I also use True-Fi from Sonarworks which helps the high end, and also allows me to boost the low end by a few db. 

Audeze LCD-X FR Graph.png

CPU: i7-5820k (4.7GHz/1.292V)                             RAM: Cruital Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4                                Case: NZXT H440 Razer Sound: SVS Ultra Bookshelves / SVS SB13-Ultra / Marantz SR7008

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3                                         Storage: Samsung 840 Evo (500GB)  + WD Black (1TB)    PSU: EVGA G2-1000        M/KB: Razer Ouroboros / Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 

Mobo: MSI X99S Sli Plus                                         GPU: EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid                                     OS: Windows 10               Monitor: BenQ XL2720Z / Asus PG348Q

If you want something pretty punchy the Foster T20RP has an open back but lots of bass. It has the planar drivers but significantly cheaper. 

I have them and the m50x's I personally find the Fostexs to be cleaner. The T50rp is a closed version and very commonly modified. Mayflower sell a kit to modify them yourself if that's your thing or you can buy pre-modded ones from them.

On 5/31/2018 at 3:34 PM, InvertedEar said:

You could just try EQing first.

I went the analog tone control route and was happy with the results (my HD..... have enough oomph). @sidA30 , would you consider either a software or hardware (i.e., Schiit Loki) option? Just my 2 cents...

2 minutes ago, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

I went the analog tone control route and was happy with the results (my HD..... have enough oomph). @sidA30 , would you consider either a software or hardware (i.e., Schiit Loki) option? Just my 2 cents...

The thing is, he already has an amp. And, like I said, he could try EQing first. If its not good enough for him, then yeah, different amps can be the other route.

3 minutes ago, InvertedEar said:

The thing is, he already has an amp. And, like I said, he could try EQing first. If its not good enough for him, then yeah, different amps can be the other route.

I went the discrete equalizer route. As in a box that sits between my DAC and headphone amplifier. Just my 2.5 cents... :ph34r:

btw - Oh, the Mayflower's a single unit. Sorry, I misread the original post. Crap. Software EQ might be best, w/o picking up new stuff.

Edited by Guest
error

2 minutes ago, PrometheanCat-1970 said:

I went the discrete equalizer route. As in a box that sits between my DAC and headphone amplifier. Just my 2.5 cents... :ph34r:

Yeah, but you could get something close enough (within reason) via software. By that, I mean OP can do that.