Expand my wifi question

Klents

Hello,

I need internet connection to my garage which is about 300m away, I live in apartment and on the 4th floor. The view to my garage is blocked by few trees only.

My question is that do I need to order 2 UBIQUITI AirGrid M2 HP 16 2.4GHz, 28dBm, in order to get this working? I have a old router in my garage and ordered a cheap antenna on ebay and I was thinking of ordering 1 UBIQUITI AirGrid M2 HP to my home router. Will this work?

I suggest for 5Ghz and compact form like ACL version

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostation-ac/

it almost at the same price range, but more lighter and compact, since you live in apartment, the downside is you have to purchase power adapter separately, it using 24v 0.5a version (not the 2a version)

and yes to make Point to point connection you need 2

My internet connection also almost the same situation as yours.

I'm using TPLINK CPE 210 though, and at 200m.

I'm using 10m steel pipe and attached it on the roof.

7 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

I suggest for 5Ghz and compact form like ACL version

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostation-ac/

it almost at the same price range, but more lighter and compact, since you live in apartment, the downside is you have to purchase power adapter separately, it using 24v 0.5a version (not the 2a version)

and yes to make Point to point connection you need 2

My internet connection also almost the same situation as yours.

I'm using TPLINK CPE 210 though, and at 200m.

I'm using 10m steel pipe and attached it on the roof.

Hey, I saw these before and just learning about them now from this thread and your post.  It seems like interesting technology but thought it would cost a fortune and now seeing this priced lower than I expected (looking at both Uibuqiti and TP-LINK models), if I were to set one up on my house pointed out into my field, would it just act as a wireless point with it broadcasting wireless further than your average AP?  Or do I need to buy another to bridge both together and connect an AP on the other end to accomplish this wireless extension?  

Thanks.

Kolt L

Web developer

12 hours ago, Klents said:

Hello,

I need internet connection to my garage which is about 300m away, I live in apartment and on the 4th floor. The view to my garage is blocked by few trees only.

My question is that do I need to order 2 UBIQUITI AirGrid M2 HP 16 2.4GHz, 28dBm, in order to get this working? I have a old router in my garage and ordered a cheap antenna on ebay and I was thinking of ordering 1 UBIQUITI AirGrid M2 HP to my home router. Will this work?

You need to look at Ubiquti's higher range transmitters. According to Wikipedia 2.4 Ghz has the range of about 250m if its an AC router. 5 Ghz only does about 35m. Thats basically for a typical router, which is why you really need to invest in long range stuff. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, itzzkolt said:

Hey, I saw these before and just learning about them now from this thread and your post.  It seems like interesting technology but thought it would cost a fortune and now seeing this priced lower than I expected (looking at both Uibuqiti and TP-LINK models), if I were to set one up on my house pointed out into my field, would it just act as a wireless point with it broadcasting wireless further than your average AP?  Or do I need to buy another to bridge both together and connect an AP on the other end to accomplish this wireless extension?  

Thanks.

yes

But in most of these unit antenna are using yagi, since it was meant for Ptp connection it has range selection

812c3f4837.png

Best practice is just to make the bridge and expand it with other AP so connection isn't interupted with other connection

OR

your 2nd option is to get unit with Omni antenna

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/airmax-omni-antenna/

It's more expensive, but that what it was meant for.

and with this type compatibility is very important so 2.4Ghz usually typically used since not all devices have 5Ghz band, but if your devices are on 5Ghz then just pick it.

if you want to understand basic omni vs yagi comparison watch this.