Need advice for a new phone

partymarty

Hello,

My girlfriend is running a company, so she got a business contract with a telephone provider over here in The Netherlands. For now she's using a Samsung Galaxy S6 but her contract is due to end.

She asked me to find her a new/better contract because this contract was hella expensive (50 euros - 58 dollar per month).

She's far from a poweruser and she only uses her phone for making calls, whatsapp with her clients and for making pictures sometimes.

She prefers to stay with Samsung but I think I can persuade her to get another brand. The only demand she really had was: NO APPLE.

My first thought was; let's get you a Samsung Galaxy S7 for 30 euros a month. But she read somewhere on the internet that Samsung stopped supporting the device back in march 2018.

Question #1: Is the software support that import that she should pay like 40 euros a month + 300 euros at front for the S9, only because it gets support till march 2020? (I think not, she barely uses her phone... She makes like 25 calls a month and won't send more than 100 whatsapp messages each month)

Question #2: If the support is that important? Are there android phone manufacturers that support their phones longer than 2 year? I only know Apple tends to support their products for 4 years but most Android phone makers stop after 2 years.

I would like to hear back from you people :) 

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

If she's happy with the S6 you could always get a SIM only contract cheaper.

I would recommend looking up videos of the new features in android 8.0/9.0 and decide for yourself if it's worth the money. It's not really something other can answer for you. But if I had to guess it's probably not worth the money

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

She's using a business and personal contract.

Her personal phone is a Samsung A3, that phone she's gonna stop using. (She hates it)

The S6 becomes her personal phone with some simple sim-only contract.

So she's looking for a new phone that comes with a business contract. She does not want to pay like 350-450 euros for a phone and go sim-only from there.

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

Question #1: Is the software support that import that she should pay like 40 euros a month + 300 euros at front for the S9, only because it gets support till march 2020? (I think not, she barely uses her phone... She makes like 25 calls a month and won't send more than 100 whatsapp messages each month)

S6 is still a good phone.

Paying that kind of money just for 25 call a month is not worth it.

New phone if you want to have better camera, better design, updated look, other than that its the same.

Android from version 5 is really stable and good.

Question #2: If the support is that important? Are there android phone manufacturers that support their phones longer than 2 year? I only know Apple tends to support their products for 4 years but most Android phone makers stop after 2 years.

Why you need extended support? As long as it work, no need for support.

Stopping support doesn't mean the phone cannot be used any longer.

They just stopped developing new fixes. I think 2 years is enough to eliminate any bugs and move on...

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

She's most of all worried about security. She's working with sensitive psychiatric data. 

So she mostly wants to know; can I safely use a phone that expired the 2 years extended support period?

Can she?

I think she can. She doesn't download weird shit. Does not use her email on her phone, only on her PC (so no link clicking there). So I think the chances of getting infected with some malware or whatsoever are slim to none.

11 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

S6 is still a good phone.

Paying that kind of money just for 25 call a month is not worth it.

New phone if you want to have better camera, better design, updated look, other than that its the same.

Android from version 5 is really stable and good.

Why you need extended support? As long as it work, no need for support.

Stopping support doesn't mean the phone cannot be used any longer.

They just stopped developing new fixes. I think 2 years is enough to eliminate any bugs and move on...

She's most of all worried about security. She's working with sensitive psychiatric data. 

So she mostly wants to know; can I safely use a phone that expired the 2 years extended support period?

Can she?

I think she can. She doesn't download weird shit. Does not use her email on her phone, only on her PC (so no link clicking there). So I think the chances of getting infected with some malware or whatsoever are slim to none.

2 minutes ago, partymarty said:

Can she?

If the data is soo important why store it in the phone?

I don't think phone support give you better security.

There are better ways to protect your data than rely only on security updates.

- Use password / fingerprint on lock screen.

- Put it it a secure encrypted folder

- Use VPN connections

- Use password manager app

- Never install wierd apps.'

- Enable find my device, if phone is gone, you can remotely erase it.

Check out this article :https://www.techradar.com/news/top-10-best-privacy-apps-for-android-in-2017

So yes, you can secure an old phone, plenty ways to do it. 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w