remove the old cpu glue or not

Go to solution Solved by SpiralTTGL,

wont affect the temp alot

hi i just delided my cpu and successfully got a temp lower by 8-10C but when i relid the cpu i didn't remove the old black glue as is too hard and time consuming .I just let the cpu socket clamp down the IHS . My question is, is it a must to crap the old glue clean?  will it affect the temp alot ? thanks  

not really the silicon was jsut to keep the IHS on the cpu but the socket will keep it in place for you

You can add it for extra protection for the cpu die

you can remove it but that wont affect the temperature unless the silicon is stopping the IHS from contacting the die

Just now, SpiralTTGL said:

not really the silicon was jsut to keep the IHS on the cpu but the socket will keep it in place for you

You can add it for extra protection for the cpu die

but some of them say the old glue have a thin layer of thickness that increase the space between the IHS and the cpu die itself (very small) .I agree with this but will this issue affect the cpu temp by alot ?

1 minute ago, Jun Wei Goh said:

but some of them say the old glue have a thin layer of thickness that increase the space between the IHS and the cpu die itself (very small) .I agree with this but will this issue affect the cpu temp by alot ?

I'd say if you have already dropped 8-10C any difference the glue makes will hardly be noticeable.

28 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

I'd say if you have already dropped 8-10C any difference the glue makes will hardly be noticeable.

ok then lastly usually when CPU delid they will apply liquid metal but then to prevent from short circuit that will usually use a electric tape to cover the pcb only the cpu die is left expose there.that is ok for newer CPU but for my 4790k beside the CPU die there is a role of small resistor i think .So if i did the same thing will the electric tape accidentally pull off the resistor ?