Snapchat makes phone sluggish and unusable

TheNuzziNuzz

~Edit~  the paragraph below is just a long explanation of horrible user experience and lag in snapchat, you can skip over the dramatic explanation of pain if you don't like sympathizing with others slow phone experiences.

My Moto X Pure edition has great responsiveness and everything is awesome and snappy. That is, until i start snapchat. As soon as I start the app, just at the loading screen I am greeted with "Google has stopped working" and typically a few other apps asking me to force quit them. (usually Outlook, Google and messages. Sometimes even snapchat itself, or System UI) after about a minute of loading I enter the camera screen. It takes about 30 seconds to load the camera, if i'm lucky. Sometimes it will just not load the camera at all. And don't try switching to the rear camera because that will take another 30 seconds and the risk it won't load at all, which happens often. Then after the camera loads, I swipe to my chats and it laggs few a few seconds. Up to 10 before actually showing my chats. Then it kinda works. I can take a picture and it will do nothing for a few seconds but nothing horrible. But when its time to type its the worst. The keyboard takes over 10 seconds to appear, and just because it appears doesn't mean I can actually type. THe delay between hitting a letter and actually seeing anything happen as minimum 5 seconds. This is usually where GBoard or AOSP keyboard will stop working and force quit (I've tried both keyboards.) If i can make it past all of this the app actually starts behaving kinda well. It seems to warm up and works semi-smoothly only with occasional stutters of the keyboard, swiping and general lag. But If I push sleep or go into another app the entire phone feels like windows 8.0 running on a first generation iphone. The only solution is to restart the phone, or force quit snapchat to return to my flawless android experience.

I think this really isn't acceptable and i've been putting up with it for a while. The only reason I use snapchat is being thats where all my friends are, aside from that It would be long uninstalled, so thats not really an option unless I can convince all my friends with iphones to switch apps too.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this kind of lag? Am I doing something wrong? Are there any fixes? Should it really be this laggy, is my phone that old already?

~Edit~ also somtimes putting the phone in battery saving mode will fix most of the lag...sometimes... But that doesn't work while charging as you can't enable battery saving mode.

Computers r fun

One of my friends has a moto phone. I'll check and see if his does it.

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

~Edit~  below is just a long explanation of horrible user experience and lag in snapchat, you can skip over the dramatic explanation of pain if you don't like sympathizing with others slow phone experiences.

My Moto X Pure edition has great responsiveness and everything is awesome and snappy. That is, until i start snapchat. As soon as I start the app, just at the loading screen I am greeted with "Google has stopped working" and typically a few other apps asking me to force quit them. (usually Outlook, Google and messages. Sometimes even snapchat itself, or System UI) 

This is a snapchat issue. 

The majority of snapchat users are on iOS. Most of the development work goes into iOS, and the few android phones that do get development tracks are the Google Pixel (first party android) and the Galaxy line of phones (best selling android phone.)

Unless you have one of those, optimization for big apps like snapchat will be hit or miss on a lesser used phone like a moto X. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

8 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

This is a snapchat issue. 

The majority of snapchat users are on iOS. Most of the development work goes into iOS, and the few android phones that do get development tracks are the Google Pixel (first party android) and the Galaxy line of phones (best selling android phone.)

Unless you have one of those, optimization for big apps like snapchat will be hit or miss on a lesser used phone like a moto X. 

Thank you, Ive been thinking that's probably it but was hoping for any ideas as a solution before accepting the worst. Glad I'm probably not the only one experiencing it though.

11 minutes ago, lavablade02 said:

One of my friends has a moto phone. I'll check and see if his does it.

Thank you :)

Computers r fun

43 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Thank you, Ive been thinking that's probably it but was hoping for any ideas as a solution before accepting the worst. Glad I'm probably not the only one experiencing it though.

Thank you :)

He has the newer one. He says everything on that phone runs like crap. But yeah, snapchat's fault

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

6 hours ago, lavablade02 said:

He has the newer one. He says everything on that phone runs like crap. But yeah, snapchat's fault

I have the moto X pure, and things used to run way crappier until I rooted and installed a custom ROM. I guess Motorola just makes really bad operating systems.

Stupid snapchat

Computers r fun

17 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

The only reason I use snapchat is being thats where all my friends are,

Wanna know a secret? All of them can be reached by SMS/MMS & it won't eat your data like Snap & all the others will.