Should My 3 Monitor Setup Have Matching Refresh Rates? (1 Gsync)

demstro

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8mDygw

I am building a system for gaming on one screen and 2 or 3 screens for work (daytrading). I will not be gaming with more than one monitor. I've heard that there are issues in Windows 10 running multiple monitors, especially if the primary is gsync. I've been told that if the refresh rates don't match across all 3 monitors, then you can get backlight flickering on the gsync, and low fps and laggy windows on the extra monitors. Because only one monitor will be for gaming I planned to get something nicer (1440p 144hz+) for the primary monitor, and some budget (1440p 60hz) for the other two. Should I actually be worried about that and is it truly that important that multimonitor displays have shared refresh rates?

If you run games on the main high refresh rate monitor with G-Sync and you play in Windowed/Borderless mode and then there is some animation/video/pop-up happening on the other lower refresh rate monitor, then you may experience a really bad stuttering because Windows is trying to sync the screens together with its own V-Sync which cant be disabled even if you set V-Sync to OFF in Global settings of NVIDIA Control Panel.

This is not an issue if you play in a true FullScreen mode but that makes handling multiple monitors a bit annoying since you have to alt+tab out of games.

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you run games on the main high refresh rate monitor with G-Sync and you play in Windowed/Borderless mode and then there is some animation/video/pop-up happening on the other lower refresh rate monitor, then you may experience a really bad stuttering because Windows is trying to sync the screens together with its own V-Sync which cant be disabled even if you set V-Sync to OFF in Global settings of NVIDIA Control Panel.

This is not an issue if you play in a true FullScreen mode but that makes handling multiple monitors a bit annoying since you have to alt+tab out of games.

I see. Does it matter whether or not the secondary displays have gsync if they have the same refresh rate? I was considering getting two 24" S2417DGs for now. Then would something like the 27" PG287QR down the line sync well with those 2 if I decided to get one for my third monitor (later, currently I'm already slightly over my initial budget)?

3 minutes ago, demstro said:

I see. Does it matter whether or not the secondary displays have gsync if they have the same refresh rate? I was considering getting two 24" S2417DGs for now. Then would something like the 27" PG287QR down the line sync well with those 2 if I decided to get one for my third monitor (later, currently I'm already slightly over my initial budget)?

No. If you have 60Hz secondary then the game will try to cap to 60FPS but it wont really run at 60FPS, rather the FPS will be jumping back and forth between whatever your FPS is and 60FPS so if your secondary is 144Hz then you can run up to 144FPS with no problem... no need for G-Sync.