Cablemod Addressable LED Strips Compatibility

pigsrawesome123

I recently bought a few of Cablemod's Addressable LED Strips and noticed they had 3 pin headers. However, my motherboard (ASUS Maximus IX Code) only has 4 pin RGB headers. How am I supposed to hook up the LED strips to my motherboard? Do I need an adapter? If there is one could you link me where to buy it? Thank you in advance.

6 minutes ago, pigsrawesome123 said:

I recently bought a few of Cablemod's Addressable LED Strips and noticed they had 3 pin headers. However, my motherboard (ASUS Maximus IX Code) only has 4 pin RGB headers. How am I supposed to hook up the LED strips to my motherboard? Do I need an adapter? If there is one could you link me where to buy it? Thank you in advance.

NOTE: Requires CableMod Addressable LED Kit, ASUS® motherboard with AURA addressable LED port, or GIGABYTE® motherboard with RGB Fusion addressable LED port to work.

-from the product page.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

NOTE: Requires CableMod Addressable LED Kit, ASUS® motherboard with AURA addressable LED port, or GIGABYTE® motherboard with RGB Fusion addressable LED port to work.

-from the product page.

I do have an ASUS motherboard with an AURA addressable LED port. 

2 minutes ago, pigsrawesome123 said:

Then in guessing you just plug it in? I'm sure the 4pin headers are not addressable, what exact motherboard do you have?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, pigsrawesome123 said:

My understanding is you need a 3-pin addressable port that are coming with newer board such as the Z370 series. I do not think there is an adaptor

addheader.jpg&key=5b67ff741c4d4635579589b6809c73741451a59bc38feaa6f0d8bf996d6a95bc

More details here:

17 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Them in guessing you just plug it in? I'm sure the 4pin headers are not addressable, what exact motherboard do you have?

I have an Asus Maximus IX Code, there are only 4 pin headers on it though.

These are what my headers look like.

9E2D1265-6E58-4176-9C57-BB74441E728A.jpeg

8B94641F-78D1-4175-8DF1-81FBD752891C.jpeg

3 minutes ago, pigsrawesome123 said:

I have an Asus Maximus IX Code, there are only 4 pin headers on it though.

These do not specify addressable RGB header and as such Will only work with standard 4pin RGB strips.

Screenshot_20180528-162440.png

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

12 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

These do not specify addressable RGB header and as such Will only work with standard 4pin RGB strips.

Dang, so I just wasted $95.

Are there any 3 pin RGB controllers you know of?

9 minutes ago, pigsrawesome123 said:

It seems that way :(

9 minutes ago, pigsrawesome123 said:

To my knowledge none exsist as of now, but I may be wrong.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, pigsrawesome123 said:

Thanks for the help!

No worries, don't forget to select the best answer with the tickmark on the bottom and consider liking/reacting to my posts if they were helpful.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, pigsrawesome123 said:

4 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

To my knowledge none exsist as of now, but I may be wrong.

many exist they have done for years, we will have some in stock soon. @pigsrawesome123 which country are you in?  We are UK based but ship worldwide.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Just now, AddonCustoms said:

many exist they have done for years, we will have some in stock soon. @pigsrawesome123 which country are you in?  We are UK based but ship worldwide.

I live in the US and shipping cost shouldn't be a problem for me.

Just now, AddonCustoms said:

I wasn't aware, could you link please for future recommendation?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Our website is in development but can order via PM on here. Once the website is up I will add a link in the post (if I forgot someone remind me :D )   Or you can go on amazon and look for Addressable LED controller, you will find some ranging from £5 ($6.50) all the way to £50 ($65) and some even more.  If you are feeling creative you could always buy an Arduino wire that up to the LED strips and then you can try and code your own pattern/colours or download one of the hundreds of patterns created by others and shared online.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

24 minutes ago, AddonCustoms said:

Our website is in development but can order via PM on here. Once the website is up I will add a link in the post (if I forgot someone remind me :D )   Or you can go on amazon and look for Addressable LED controller, you will find some ranging from £5 ($6.50) all the way to £50 ($65) and some even more.  If you are feeling creative you could always buy an Arduino wire that up to the LED strips and then you can try and code your own pattern/colours or download one of the hundreds of patterns created by others and shared online.

What’s your selection of controllers?

1 hour ago, pigsrawesome123 said:

dude wtf howmuch did you buy?

when i buy adressable LED´s i typically pay about 20 bucks for a 5 meter roll with 60LED´s/m

by the way you can address them with an arduino or other micro controllers 

@pigsrawesome123 the 4-pin are standard Aura - 3-pin is addressable Aura and there is a difference between the two. Please email Support@CableMod.com though and we can help you with this.

1 hour ago, CableMod said:

@pigsrawesome123 the 4-pin are standard Aura - 3-pin is addressable Aura and there is a difference between the two. Please email Support@CableMod.com though and we can help you with this.

I have already e-mailed your support e-mail about the problem. 

4 minutes ago, pigsrawesome123 said:

I still haven't received a reply from your support.

@pigsrawesome123 you should receive a reply within 24 hours of your ticket submission if not sooner.

Much thanks to Cablemod and Matt from their support team for an easy and seamless solution for my dilemma. Also, thank you to everyone else who has commented for the support. :D