i need a new electric violin

so my brother is in middle school, he is the best violin player in his class and i wanna get him an electric violin so he can practice at home without disturbing anyone nor getting disturbed (my dad is proud of him and when he hears him play he calls him so he can play for him  whatever he is practicing, of course he does not wanna play something ugly he is figuring out how to play [he does not like sheet music, likes to look around for the notes] so he plays whatever he is rehearsing at school)

so i wanna buy him a good electirc violin in a budget of about 200 dollars, if it is extremely worth it, maybe, just maybe 300 (talked to his orchestra teacher and he said that was an ok price range)

also, no, i am not gonna go to a violin store since it's 1 hour away and,well...Ain't nobody got time for dat (sorry)

Just now, NotTheRelaxngEnd said:

so my brother is in middle school, he is the best violin player in his class and i wanna get him an electric violin so he can practice at home without disturbing anyone nor getting disturbed (my dad is proud of him and when he hears him play he calls him so he can play for him  whatever he is practicing, of course he does not wanna play something ugly he is figuring out how to play [he does not like sheet music, likes to look around for the notes] so he plays whatever he is rehearsing at school)

so i wanna buy him a good electirc violin in a budget of about 200 dollars, if it is extremely worth it, maybe, just maybe 300 (talked to his orchestra teacher and he said that was an ok price range)

also, no, i am not gonna go to a violin store since it's 1 hour away and,well...Ain't nobody got time for dat (sorry)

and i obviously am not going to spend 600 dollars in a professional violin (for now) since i'm saving that for his graduation {not sure if to wait till he finishes high school}

I think you will quickly discover that any instrument worth anything is well over $500. At least, with normal violins. I think mine was $800 and it's a pretty mediocre instrument. I suggest you go down to your local violin shop and see what they have, just adjust your expectations. 

ASU

My brother owns several violin shops in the Tampa/Sacramento area (Florida) I can tell you first hand $300 will not get you a decent violin. Unless he is just using it for practice then you might can find him a used one cheap but practicing on a cheap instrument will greatly affect his ability to play well on a decent instrument. It's always better to practice on the instrument you use mainly. I worked in one of my brothers stores for a year re-hairing bows, tuning bridges and working as the sales rep

4 hours ago, Tekred said:

My brother owns several violin shops in the Tampa/Sacramento area (Florida) I can tell you first hand $300 will not get you a decent violin. Unless he is just using it for practice then you might can find him a used one cheap but practicing on a cheap instrument will greatly affect his ability to play well on a decent instrument. It's always better to practice on the instrument you use mainly. I worked in one of my brothers stores for a year re-hairing bows, tuning bridges and working as the sales rep

i know, i am also a half decent violin player, he only wants it for practicing, since the school lets him borrow fairly nicer violins, but they are acoustic, so he needs something that has no acoustic box making it quieter, aslo right now i don't have muuch money since i just built my pc and the teacher took away his violin in order to do inventory, last year he lost a lot of practice over the summer and was struggling to do vibrato when he used to play like that smoothly, so he needs a cheap solution with fairly nice sound quality so he does not lose practice

8 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I think you will quickly discover that any instrument worth anything is well over $500. At least, with normal violins. I think mine was $800 and it's a pretty mediocre instrument. I suggest you go down to your local violin shop and see what they have, just adjust your expectations. 

this is not meant to be his main violin, he wants it so he can practice over the summer since he was a much better player last year, but since his orchestra teacher took it away to do inventory, he had nothing to practice with, he used tto easily play vibrato and play much faster, now he sort of struggles at times, so i need a cheap solution for him

49 minutes ago, NotTheRelaxngEnd said:

i know, i am also a half decent violin player, he only wants it for practicing, since the school lets him borrow fairly nicer violins, but they are acoustic, so he needs something that has no acoustic box making it quieter, aslo right now i don't have muuch money since i just built my pc and the teacher took away his violin in order to do inventory, last year he lost a lot of practice over the summer and was struggling to do vibrato when he used to play like that smoothly, so he needs a cheap solution with fairly nice sound quality so he does not lose practice

If you just want to practice, why not get a practice mute?

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

If you just want to practice, why not get a practice mute?

smh

1 hour ago, NotTheRelaxngEnd said:

smh

Yeah it sounds like shit but it you're just practicing why do you care?

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

Yeah it sounds like shit but it you're just practicing why do you care?

because since he lkes ti look around for notes winstead of playing with sheet music he needs something that is not fancy, but neither $#!t

3 minutes ago, NotTheRelaxngEnd said:

because since he lkes ti look around for notes winstead of playing with sheet music he needs something that is not fancy, but neither $#!t

He can't read music? 

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

He can't read music? 

he can, but he prefers to look around, for him and me that's just  a more fun way to play

7 minutes ago, NotTheRelaxngEnd said:

he can, but he prefers to look around, for him and me that's just  a more fun way to play

What does that mean look around? Like hunt around for notes on the string? 

ASU

15 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

What does that mean look around? Like hunt around for notes on the string? 

yeah, sort of, we like figuring things out ourselves

1 hour ago, NotTheRelaxngEnd said:

yeah, sort of, we like figuring things out ourselves

Oh like learning things by ear? 

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Oh like learning things by ear? 

yes, exactly, this helped me learn at first, and thanks to this tip is the reason he is the best in his class