Exploring the ridiculous, soldering more VRAM to a GPU

So, I am kinda bored, but mostly curious. I have a rather measly GTX 760 192 bit card, with 1.5GB of RAM. I know they make a 3GB version, I looked at the BIOSes of the two cards, and their PCB, and sure enough, it seems there isn't too much to add, but there are differences in component count, which I suspect is a hard set "this card is the 1.5GB version" but could just be from different runs, I'll have to investigate. I'm thinking up two different ideas now, but I doubt one of them will work, so I'll leave that to second. Obtaining more mem chips won't be too hard, they're not too rare for this particular model number of RAM IC, and soldering them, well, will be a challenge but I've soldered normal DDR3 fine in the past, it's just a pain, a big pain, idk about GDDR5 though, that'll be fun. The second option would be to use another type of RAM chip, however all I have is some from a GTX 980, and they're 500MB, not the 250MB needed, the difference in Gbits 92Gbit vs 4Gbit) is obvious. I'm also not sure if the memory would work, so for now I'll just buy more VRAM from shady sources and use that. That I want is your guis reactions that, other than the usual internet negativity, is anyone interested if I record my methods and problems, and solutions if I find them? I'm sure you could make a hell of a series of videos on just exploring the science, which is really what I'm doing. 

*edit* Well, that's embarrassing, I just realised the 1.5GB model has the same number of RAM chips, I didn't see them on the back, I was scratching my head about that, looks like it's 4Gbit chips after all. That was a brain derp moment....... 

Yours faithfully

Keep in mind these projects usually cost way more than they’re worth, but it would be an interesting idea. I can’t help but think, though, that there will be PCB differences that prevent the upgrade from working, or maybe the memory chip ball grid array will be a different size. It’s worth investigating, but keep in mind there’s a migh degree of precision and an even higher degree of luck required to pull this off. Just check out Strange Parts’ 800% iPhone storage upgrade...

I would love to see if something like this would actually work. If the number of RAM chips is the same perhaps you could remove and put in new ones? Maybe I'll try and extend my 2gb 680 one day...

That's an F in the profile pic

4 minutes ago, Ja50n said:

Keep in mind these projects usually cost way more than they’re worth, but it would be an interesting idea. I can’t help but think, though, that there will be PCB differences that prevent the upgrade from working, or maybe the memory chip ball grid array will be a different size. It’s worth investigating, but keep in mind there’s a migh degree of precision and an even higher degree of luck required to pull this off. Just check out Strange Parts’ 800% iPhone storage upgrade...

Well, I've repaired RAM sticks before when ICs got ripped from removing heat spreaders, thankfully all the pads remained, so I'm competent with a hot air rework station. I have confirmed this GTX 980 is core dead, memory OK, and it also has SKHynix memory ICs, much better ones, not sure of the pads until I remove them, however yes, completely replacing all the memory chips is needed, as they both use 6 chips, one at 2Gbit density the other at 4Gbit, in theory if I do everything right and install the 3GB VBIOS before I carry this out it should work, assuming I also set the other values right if they're important.

6 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I would love to see if something like this would actually work. If the number of RAM chips is the same perhaps you could remove and put in new ones? Maybe I'll try and extend my 2gb 680 one day...

No, this is really a "lets see if I can" type this, to do this to a card, I would say the work I'm about to put in is over 20 hours, at least a few thousand for someone who does this for a living, it's not really a good idea. However the 3GB uses 4Gbit chips, the 1.5GB uses 2Gbit. I'm betting nvidia just uses the same PCB (this is the same one as the GTX 660, GTX 760, GTX 960) and barely changes , if at all, between cards. They should share the exact same system layout. That said nvidia has actively spent money making overclocking harder, this is not even remotely in the same ball park as overclocking and the volt mods I do

Yours faithfully

OK, Great news, as I already knew, the memory of the cards are similar, however, they're almost the same

MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G's Memory

4Gbit - 128Mx32 - H5GQ4H24MFR-R2C - FBGA (170Balls) - 16 Bank, 1.5v
Nvidia GTX 760 192 bit bus's Memory

2Gbit -  64Mx32 - H5GQ2H24AFR-R0C - FBGA (170Balls) - 16 Banks, 1.5v

They should be compatably, I know this memory on the GTX 760 did like 7.5Gbps, and the memory on the GTS 760 did around 7Gbps, so overclcoked they could see a tiny gainm too, however they this should be possible. 

(also this is 1020 BGA balls to get right, this is like soldering a CPU but thankfully only 170 at a time)

Yours faithfully

7 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

OK, Great news, as I already knew, the memory of the cards are similar, however, they're almost the same

MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G's Memory

4Gbit - 128Mx32 - H5GQ4H24MFR-R2C - FBGA (170Balls) - 16 Bank, 1.5v

Nvidia GTX 760 192 bit bus's Memory

2Gbit -  64Mx32 - H5GQ2H24AFR-R0C - FBGA (170Balls) - 16 Banks, 1.5v

They should be compatably, I know this memory on the GTX 760 did like 7.5Gbps, and the memory on the GTS 760 did around 7Gbps, so overclcoked they could see a tiny gainm too, however they this should be possible. 

(also this is 1020 BGA balls to get right, this is like soldering a CPU but thankfully only 170 at a time)

It will still be 1020 balls before you can test your work, and then not fun tracking down a problem? DX

1 minute ago, Ja50n said:

It will still be 1020 balls before you can test your work, and then not fun tracking down a problem? DX

I have a solution for a problem, the bin!

Yours faithfully

• 3 months later...

Hi there.  Just wondering if you have had any luck with those?  There's a slew of cards out there which are basically the same in every technical aspect except for one variant being sold with less VRAM, and that's true for both red and green team.  In theory soldering on the extra VRAM chips or higher density ones and then flashing the corresponding BIOS should have a fair chance of working.  Quite curious about your findings on that project

• 2 years later...

so , any of you have tried ? im thinking in doing that too

• 3 months later...

Incase anyone is still remotely following this, this exact mod was attempted on a 2080Ti, upgrading it from 11GB to 16GB, the mod worked however the card was unstable with the higher density chips.